• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The only suppressed Ruger No. 1?

My now deceased stepfather gave me a choice of a Ruger #1 in 30-06 and a Browning BAR in 7mm Mag. I chose the Browning some 20 odd years ago, and have kicked myself for the last 15 years for my foolishness.

As you penned, who wants an old single shot when a 4 rnd auto loader is available? ME, that's who!

Well written and congrats, it is a beauty.
Kinda strange how time and hindsight can change your thinking on things like that. I thought the same way 30 yrs ago.

that is a great gun and a great write up. Mind if I share a link to this thread on the Ruger #1 group on FB?

Love what you've done with it. If I were making a modern #1 this is what it would be. I have a #1 280 RSI that I will keep the way it is but some day I'd like to build something similar to what you have produced there. Good job and attention to detail.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. While I built the gun for myself, it is certainly nice to see it has appeal to others. Upon mentioning the project to others before I started, the word blasphemous was thrown around quite a bit and those guys have been converts to the final product. I'll bring it to the ODT Gun show in May for everyone to check out.

Nice gun, nice write-up! I hope you'll enjoy it for many years to come...One question, if I may...Why did you decide on the 16 & 1/4" Barrel?
It was as short as I could go without registering it as an SBR. I have other 16" 6.5's and they shoot just fine. Still can get over 2700 fps with 130 grain bullets.

Great gun and great story. I have had the same obsession with another single shot gun - The Browning B-78. Guess I need to do a little gunsmithing now.

But I do have to ask one question about your beautiful #1 setup...does it shoot?
I don't know yet, will be shooting it this weekend. Hopefully accurizing doesn't become project #2, but if so, I welcome the challenge.

Very tasteful upgrades.
If that was my gun it would never see the bush
Oh no sir...I don't own any safe queens, my tentative goal is a hog, a deer and a bear by the end of 2019 with this thing. But you know how goals go......

that is a great gun and a great write up. Mind if I share a link to this thread on the Ruger #1 group on FB?

Love what you've done with it. If I were making a modern #1 this is what it would be. I have a #1 280 RSI that I will keep the way it is but some day I'd like to build something similar to what you have produced there. Good job and attention to detail.

Absolutely. You can share this post or I have a new blog that you can link to as well that has this post and the pictures are bit more hi-res if you click on them:
twobluescrews.com

Back
Top Bottom