• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The renewed lever action rifle fetish

I think the gun industry took a knee to the gun grabbers and that's why the push for lever guns. It was not a market being demanded by buyers, it was buyers being brain washed into wanting a lever gun since the shop shelves slowly became bare of 7400s, BARs, .44 carbines and such when AR15s took over. Since the MSM made those evil assault rifles and gun makers caved from frivolous law suits they started pushing something to take its place. 10 years ago you could not give away a lot of lever guns. The marlin 1895 with short barrels were selling ok but still often sat on the shelve for weeks or months.
I've always like lever guns and have several. So I'm not poo pooing on your sudden fetish with "assault" lever guns. I remember when every hunting show were using TC Encores. I got home one day from the shop with a brand new TC Encore with Katadine barrel in 450 Marlin. As I played around with it, it dawned on me "why the heck did I just buy this? I have a 45/70 HR and Ruger No 1 in 458 mag that I loaded down to 450 Marlin ballistics. I was brain washed. I ended up taking it back and trading it in on a new Mathews bow. It's easy to be persuaded into buying something by subliminal messaging.
I may buy another lever gun but I assure you it won't be a synthetic M lok stocked, threaded barrel gun. Probably a deal on another 99 Savage.
Yeah, no…

What numbers have you to support all that?
Market is completely saturated with “assault weapons” but sales are still high.

Surpressors have been legal in a lot of European countries for years, Was there a surge of lever guns sales there? Were lever guns real popular in Australia before semi autos were banned? No. When Australia banned semi autos the sale of lever guns became what it is there. I would guess that the majority of suppressors end up on semi autos. No-one has to agree with me, doesn't bother me a bit. It's just my thoughts on it. The fact that someone mentioned that video games and movies maybe linked to the new found popularity of lever guns could be it but maybe it's intentional. Kind of like Victoria Secret trying to glamorize rotund fat bodies as the new "sexy". enjoy your lever gun while you day dream of Lizzo in her tights. lol

Surpressors have been legal in a lot of European countries for years, Was there a surge of lever guns sales there? Were lever guns real popular in Australia before semi autos were banned? No. When Australia banned semi autos the sale of lever guns became what it is there. I would guess that the majority of suppressors end up on semi autos. No-one has to agree with me, doesn't bother me a bit. It's just my thoughts on it. The fact that someone mentioned that video games and movies maybe linked to the new found popularity of lever guns could be it but maybe it's intentional. Kind of like Victoria Secret trying to glamorize rotund fat bodies as the new "sexy". enjoy your lever gun while you day dream of Lizzo in her tights. lol
You're waaaaaay off on those thoughts. Not everything is political in nature or has to do about lingerie

I can only speak for myself, but I primarily wanted a simple lever gun in 38/357 that I could suppress. I had lousy timing so that about the time I was looking to buy, I was researching build quality, and just about the time I wanted to buy, Remington crapped the bed, and so Marlin wasn't an option at that time.

Suppressing straight-wall cartridges really is a no-brainer with traditional lever action calibers. At the smaller caliber end, you can just use off-the-shelf ammo because it's pretty much subsonic anyway.

All I really wanted was something in a lever action, ideally with in a stainless, hardwearing finish with un-fancy stock and fore-end. If it came with a threaded barrel straight from the factory, so much the better. There really wasn't that much to choose from - especially if I was going to hold to that demand for stainless. As I remember it, if I wanted new, only Henry and Taylor's Alaskan series. The fact that the Henry had a couple of M Lok mounts and a pic rail on it was of some interest in case I wanted to mount a light, but as you can see in the photos earlier in this thread, I've done very little to 'tacticool' mine, and I know a number of other people whose approach is similar - what they wanted was a suppressed lever action, and these semi-tactical or tactical models will let you do that right out of the box. Throw on a sling and you'e pretty much good to go.

Having a 'fallback' weapon should the Sturmtruppen come door to door taking my AR15s never entered into my mind.

Now - some people hate iron sights, especially buckhorns - so as you can see, I put a Rangerpoint peep sight on mine, but I'm of the opinion that a lever action is a 100-200 yard, quick and simple device that I didn't want to have fancy glass or electronics on - but you know, if someone really wants to install and sight in an LVPO for it, more power to them.

You can't blame companies for seeing a gap in the market that they think they can fill and make some money out of. I thnk the 'tactical' lever guns are likely to be a flash in the pan because when you pimp them out you move away from what is really a very simple, almost idiot-proof weapon to something that has the same kind of complexity as a modern sporting rifle, but I've been wrong before and will probably be wrong again in the future.

Edit: I see that ReservoirDawg10 ReservoirDawg10 has touched on a few of these points. Apologies for what looks like me simply echoing them.

Back
Top Bottom