• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The renewed lever action rifle fetish

I have a few lever guns in pistol calibers….love em!
I hope vinyl does make a comeback….i have a bunch of records and a great old turntable with my old stereo that still sounds great !! I have replaced speakers a couple of times and had to buy a new receiver about 10 yrs ago ……but it still sounds great !

I’ve always liked lever action rifles but I’m not crazy about the tacti-cool offerings…

I heard one guy mention buying levers and revolvers because nobody is going out of their way trying to ban them yet. Who knows?

Maybe it’s industry advancement. alleycat alleycat might be offering cannon with red dots, tac lights and collapsible carriages next year…

I’ve always liked lever action rifles but I’m not crazy about the tacti-cool offerings…

I heard one guy mention buying levers and revolvers because nobody is going out of their way trying to ban them yet. Who knows?

Maybe it’s industry advancement. alleycat alleycat might be offering cannon with red dots, tac lights and collapsible carriages next year…
These people are as bad as anti-gun turds. Pre-emptively giving up your rights? What a cuck.

They're a classic, well proven, and reliable platform available in a variety of calibers that require no additional parts to operate....much like a wheel gun. What's not to like about that?

Sometimes it takes a new generation to renew an interest in a certain weapon type or Hollywood movies can certainly re-spark an interest too.
So is the 1911 but apparently you have to be a boomer to own one.

I think there are a couple of things at play here. I think there's always been a baseline interest in owning lever actions. When Remington was broken up, Marlins were off the table as an option, and there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about a significant range of models being 'gone forever'.

The Marlin brand was bought by Ruger, but they didn't reopen production lines quickly, and so a lot of the interest in buying a Marlin lever action was transferred to Henry and Rossi. People hung on for a while (more about that below) but eventually I sense that a number of people got fed up waiting for the Marlin brand to be re-established and so they bought what was available. Demand spiked and so asking prices went up, whether on the second hand or new markets.

The second factor was the introduction of the Marlin "Dark" series about a year before Remington (and therefore Marlin) went "dark" themselves This was a 'tacticool' version with loops wrapped in paracord, sling mounts, rails, black fittings etc. which attracted the attention of people who wouldn't necessarily have had any interest whatsoever in a Henry Golden Boy. Just as interest in the "Dark" models was starting to accelerate, Remington went into bankruptcy.

Henry responded with their Big Boy X range, and for a while were the only real place to go if you were interested in buying an out-of-the-box lever action gun with a threaded barrel and any expectation of good optics beyond a buckhorn sight.

The idea proved popular, and for a while, videos of guys rocking a .357 Big Boy X with a can and a red dot became common on Youtube, which inevitably got people thinking - and talking - about lever actions in unusual, typically un-rimmed cartridges. There were still no Marlins in producton, and so other interested manufacturers like Patriot Ordnance Factory came out with their Tombstone in 9mm, complete with rail system etc which was set up to satisfy the pent-up demand.

And then Ruger came to market with a restricted range of chamberings for the new Marlins (in traditional rimmed calibers) , and recently we've seen Henry get in on the act, recently announcing their attempt to appeal to the tactical guys, in this case, offering 223 Rem and 300 Blk chamberings.

My sense is that we'll go back to a baseline level of interest in lever actions overall, but with a skew toward 'tacticool' for a while. We're at the tail end of a kind of minor mania, and like all such manias, it'll subside with time.

Sacrilege……no way

:)

IMG_0030.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom