• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The thing I'm most 'scared' of in the woods....

During the summer of 1980, I worked for a landscaper on Kiawah Island, SC. We put out tons of pine straw and at the end of each day, the workers would run a contest of who collected the most seed ticks which was typically in the dozens. Fortunately, I never experienced any illness from any of that. The CDC does have guidance on the Lone Star tick, https://www.cdc.gov/stari/disease/index.html

STARI or Lyme?
Lone star tick a concern, but not for Lyme disease
Many people, even health care providers, can be confused about whether the lone star tick causes Lyme disease. It does not. Patients bitten by lone star ticks will occasionally develop a circular rash similar to the rash of early Lyme disease. The cause of this rash has not been determined; however, studies have shown that the rash is not caused by Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.

This condition has been named southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI). The rash may sometimes be accompanied by fatigue, headache, fever, and muscle pains. In the cases of STARI studied to date, the rash and accompanying symptoms have resolved following treatment with an oral antibiotic (doxycycline), but it is unknown whether this medication speeds recovery. STARI has not been linked to arthritis, neurologic disease, or chronic symptoms. Researchers once hypothesized that STARI was caused by the spirochete, Borrelia lonestari, however further research did not support this ideaExternal. The cause of STARI remains unknown.

LoneStarDrawing.jpg

Lone star ticks have not been shown to transmit Borrelia burgdorferi, the cause of Lyme disease. In fact, their saliva has been shown to kill Borrelia (Ledin et al., 2005, Zeidner et al., 2009).

The lone star tick, Amblyomma americanum, is found throughout the eastern, southeastern and south-central states. The distribution, range and abundance of the lone star tick have increased over the past 20-30 years, and lone star ticks have been recorded in large numbers as far north as Maine and as far west as central Texas and Oklahoma. All three life stages (larva, nymph, adult) of the lone star tick will feed on humans, and may be quite aggressive. Lone star ticks will also feed readily on other animals, including dogs and cats, and may be brought into the home on pets. The saliva from lone star ticks can be irritating; redness and discomfort at a bite site does not necessarily indicate an infection.

People should monitor their health closely after any tick bite, and should consult their physician if they experience a rash, fever, headache, joint or muscle pains, or swollen lymph nodes within 30 days of a tick bite. These can be signs of a number of tickborne diseases.

Tick-borne illness may be prevented by avoiding tick habitat (dense woods and brushy areas), using insect repellents containing DEET or permethrin, wearing long pants and socks, and performing tick checks and promptly removing ticks after outdoor activity. Additional prevention tips are available.

Study results: Distinctions between STARI and Lyme disease symptoms
In a study that compared physical findings from STARI patients in Missouri with Lyme disease patients in New York (Wormser et al, 2005), several key differences were noted:

• Patients with STARI were more likely to recall a tick bite than were patients with Lyme disease.
  • The time period from tick bite to onset of the skin lesion was shorter among patients with STARI (6 days, on average).
  • STARI patients with an erythema migrans rash were less likely to have other symptoms than were Lyme disease patients with erythema migrans rash.
  • STARI patients were less likely to have multiple skin lesions, had lesions that were smaller in size than Lyme disease patients (6-10 cm for STARI vs. 6-28 cm for Lyme disease), and had lesions that were more circular in shape and with more central clearing.
  • After antibiotic treatment, STARI patients recovered more rapidly than did Lyme disease patients.

Page last reviewed: November 19, 2018

This year it's been wild dogs. I've had them tree me in during archery season. Fortunately I was already up the tree high enough they couldnt get to me. They really screwed up my season. Hardly any deer sightings. There are 2 packs. This pack of 12 then another pack of 4. The pack of 4 tree'd me. I started carrying my pistol after that. I've ran into coyotes, coons, possums, foxes and other varmints while hunting and they all ran away. These b@$t@rds ain't scared of people.
upload_2020-12-26_18-15-48.png

This year it's been wild dogs. I've had them tree me in during archery season. Fortunately I was already up the tree high enough they couldnt get to me. They really screwed up my season. Hardly any deer sightings. There are 2 packs. This pack of 12 then another pack of 4. The pack of 4 tree'd me. I started carrying my pistol after that. I've ran into coyotes, coons, possums, foxes and other varmints while hunting and they all ran away. These b@$t@rds ain't scared of people.
View attachment 2994673
Shoot them. I shoot every pack dog on our property. I know the couple family pets that are around and they only come into camp area but those I would shoot just as a fast I would shoot a yote.

Snakes? Pfft. No. Bears? Nope. Big cats (and all the black panthers in the state)? Nope. Zombie coyote wolf hybrids? No.
The thing I hate the most in the woods is..... TICKS!
Went to the cabin last Sunday (23rd) and was doing some work on my fruit trees and didn't use any spray as it wasn't handy. Pulled a little tick cruising my fore arm driving home. After a really hot shower, just felt like stuff was crawling on me all night even though when I'd check a spot there was nothing.
Fast forward to last Thursday, washing (what's left of) my hair and felt something around one of my temples. Yep, tick. It was in the exact spot that would be behind the sidearms on my glasses. Sneaky bastage. He was attached. He was pretty healthy. Pulled him off and he went down the drain. No pain so didn't worry too much about it even though the "24 hour attached" rule was in my mind. Late the next day, the bite site was starting to look a little infected and was pretty sore. Of course it was too late to get into a doctor at that point and I will NEVER go to a 'doc in the box' again. Saturday felt pretty miserable, headache, VERY fatigued and felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up from doing yard work. Of coure zero idea if it was related. Sunday was better but still a little run down. Felt normal today but after reading too much about tick borne diseases, I still went to see the doctor (which I almost NEVER do). Prescription for antibiotic and hopefully that's that. :pray2:
I guess I didn't realize Lyme's disease was as awful and long lasting as it is.
I just don't want the one where you can't eat meat. I'd have to shoot myself. Got to be better than starvation.

Hope you got a script for a 2 full weeks of doxy. Nothing less will do. You do NOT want that crap getting chronic on you.

Just saw this was from August

Not to give you any more nightmare fuel but seed ticks are something I had never heard of before this spring. Wife & I had been hiking & anytime we went thru vegetation checked for ticks

After getting home & showering she asked me to look at some spots she had on her hip. They looked almost like little moles or flecks that wouldn't come off. Got some magnifying glasses & saw they were ticks.

Apparently when they just hatch they are tiny & look like seeds or just spots of dirt. Had to take tweezers & wear the glasses & pulled off over 70 of the little bastards then wiped the area with alcohol.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/news/a43076/seed-ticks-bites-kids/
Obviously they hide in fur and hair, so a good clean shaving down in that area should be in order about every few days!

Shoot them. I shoot every pack dog on our property. I know the couple family pets that are around and they only come into camp area but those I would shoot just as a fast I would shoot a yote.

^^^ This.
I saw some tonight chasing something.
Was hoping they’d come by my stand so ai could empty a mag into them.

Snakes? Pfft. No. Bears? Nope. Big cats (and all the black panthers in the state)? Nope. Zombie coyote wolf hybrids? No.
The thing I hate the most in the woods is..... TICKS!
Went to the cabin last Sunday (23rd) and was doing some work on my fruit trees and didn't use any spray as it wasn't handy. Pulled a little tick cruising my fore arm driving home. After a really hot shower, just felt like stuff was crawling on me all night even though when I'd check a spot there was nothing.
Fast forward to last Thursday, washing (what's left of) my hair and felt something around one of my temples. Yep, tick. It was in the exact spot that would be behind the sidearms on my glasses. Sneaky bastage. He was attached. He was pretty healthy. Pulled him off and he went down the drain. No pain so didn't worry too much about it even though the "24 hour attached" rule was in my mind. Late the next day, the bite site was starting to look a little infected and was pretty sore. Of course it was too late to get into a doctor at that point and I will NEVER go to a 'doc in the box' again. Saturday felt pretty miserable, headache, VERY fatigued and felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up from doing yard work. Of coure zero idea if it was related. Sunday was better but still a little run down. Felt normal today but after reading too much about tick borne diseases, I still went to see the doctor (which I almost NEVER do). Prescription for antibiotic and hopefully that's that. :pray2:
I guess I didn't realize Lyme's disease was as awful and long lasting as it is.
I just don't want the one where you can't eat meat. I'd have to shoot myself. Got to be better than starvation.
Humans scare me most...

Did some web search and it says that when you get lime decease it gets read around the bite like a large surface, is that true ?
I got one my self about 3 weeks ago but after pulling it off and applying some alcohol ,the place just dried ,I still can see ,where I was bitten but noting else .

Did some web search and it says that when you get lime decease it gets read around the bite like a large surface, is that true ?
I got one my self about 3 weeks ago but after pulling it off and applying some alcohol ,the place just dried ,I still can see ,where I was bitten but noting else .

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you are going to die.

Back
Top Bottom