• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Things to do in Helen

99% of the shop are touristy junk and owned/operated by Indians now, so kinda weird for a Bavarian town.

The things to do there of near:

-Hike Yonah mountain. It's a little tough, but has great views. Bring water.
-The Pizza place right south of town by Nacoochee Grill has good pizza, and fantastic pepper relish with your bread sticks
-Hartman farm
-Betty's Store
-Charlamagne The Railorad mentioned above

For anything in town, park on the back side of town (right side of the road) for free. Screw paying to park to save a 1/4 mile walk.

For nearby things, on 75 just out of Cleveland there is Jumpin' Goat with a great view of Yonah while you sip a coffee. They have 5 different Meads that are worth tasting the flight and a couple wines.

Also Tantrum Brewing Company is bustling Thursday thru Sunday. The place is staying packed. I haven't been due to waiting for the crowd to die down, and it isn't.

99% of the shop are touristy junk and owned/operated by Indians now, so kinda weird for a Bavarian town.

The things to do there of near:

-Hike Yonah mountain. It's a little tough, but has great views. Bring water.
-The Pizza place right south of town by Nacoochee Grill has good pizza, and fantastic pepper relish with your bread sticks
-Hartman farm
-Betty's Store
-Charlamagne The Railorad mentioned above

For anything in town, park on the back side of town (right side of the road) for free. Screw paying to park to save a 1/4 mile walk.

For nearby things, on 75 just out of Cleveland there is Jumpin' Goat with a great view of Yonah while you sip a coffee. They have 5 different Meads that are worth tasting the flight and a couple wines.

Also Tantrum Brewing Company is bustling Thursday thru Sunday. The place is staying packed. I haven't been due to waiting for the crowd to die down, and it isn't.
Where exactly is this free parking?

Where exactly is this free parking?
Take the first right after you pass the putt-putt. Left at the stop sign. The parking on the left side behind all of the shop is free. I live 7 miles away and never pay for parking.

The mountain coaster looks like it's open now as well.

If the temps are cool, a walk up Anna Ruby Falls is nice. Maybe in the morning before the humidity increases.

A warning- on the back side of the beer garden there is a place called, I think, the Heidelberg. It looks cool, but when you go into the stairs to go to the bar, it smells like vomit and pi$$. I would pass.

Another place worth stopping in Cleveland- The Country Bakery on the left a mile or so past Ingles. It's a German Baptist family that makes all of the bread and cakes and pies and ice cream. We stop in every week. The German grain bread is fantastic and no preservatives. The cakes are excellent as are any of the desserts. They pretty much sell out of everything every weekend. Lemon Lush is a great treat there too.

It's been years since we've been up there. But I had a good steak at Paul's there. Good beer at the various places there too. The 'Hooch will have plenty of tubers going through if you sit out back at Troll Tavern you can watch them while you knock back a beer. Vogel State Park was nice and Unicoi is right up the road. I remember stopping at the Goats on the Roof Amish place outside of Helen for some good food too.

Take the first right after you pass the putt-putt. Left at the stop sign. The parking on the left side behind all of the shop is free. I live 7 miles away and never pay for parking.

The mountain coaster looks like it's open now as well.

If the temps are cool, a walk up Anna Ruby Falls is nice. Maybe in the morning before the humidity increases.

A warning- on the back side of the beer garden there is a place called, I think, the Heidelberg. It looks cool, but when you go into the stairs to go to the bar, it smells like vomit and pi$$. I would pass.

Another place worth stopping in Cleveland- The Country Bakery on the left a mile or so past Ingles. It's a German Baptist family that makes all of the bread and cakes and pies and ice cream. We stop in every week. The German grain bread is fantastic and no preservatives. The cakes are excellent as are any of the desserts. They pretty much sell out of everything every weekend. Lemon Lush is a great treat there too.
The parking lot for the Mexican restaurant and such. Gotcha. I thought you were talking about the big one over behind the troll tavern. I was about to correct you.

Goats on the Roof is closed, so don't bother driving that way unless you're headed to Richard Russell to hike or ride for views.

I use the Ingles in Cleveland as a barometer for what's happening in Helen and the last few weekends, Ingles is pretty busy on the weekends, so I know the hotels and cabins around are packed, so that means the river a water park are packed.

Back
Top Bottom