• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about a new truck...your thoughts on Toyota Tundra

pros, you wontget a better truck in terms of resale value. they are now made in Pendergrass by americans smh. cons, they are now made in America... instead of japville

Cons
- Interior isn't as nice as others in the class. Low quality hard plastics in a lot of spaces.
- Fuel economy is horrible with the 5.7. One of my in-laws has one he pulls a smaller bass boat and small camper with on occasion (not at the same time). He get's 12 mpg on the highway with it. He gets 16 hwy if he isn't, 12 city. It adds up.
- Rear visibility ain't the best.
- There are plenty of trucks with better fuel economy AND horsepower.
- They're coming out with a "New" 2014 or 2015. Similar powertrain. Same ugly nose. Same bad interior. The value of anything you buy now will go down considerably in a year.
- Road noise more noticeable (to me atleast) than the competition.
- Like most Toyotas, sealed transmission. This isn't big for most people, but I like doing my own maintenance.
- This is just me, but it seems bloated.
- They'll preach "Lifertime Fluids". If you buy that, I'll cut you a deal on a bridge in Brooklyn.

Pros
- Durable, but so is every truck.
- If you fish in Bassmasters tournaments and are the highest placed in a Tundra, you get a bonus.
- Toyota is usually pretty good on recalls.

Go give the Rams a whirl. Look at the 2014 GMs. I really and truly think the new Rams are the sweetspot. The V6 with the ZF 8 sourced transmissions are phenomenal on fuel economy and have power for days. Unless you're pulling a big travel trailer, you won't notice the difference between it and the V8. They're also bringing a 3.0 Liter V6 turbo diesel in the Rams next year (VM Motori made) that's been used in the European Jeeps for the past few years with great success. The new 2014 GMs have a much improved interior, but the steering wheel is somewhat offset. Can't vouch for ride or fuel economy, though.

Last edited:
I think the new Tundra's are friggin rockets! The real gas mileage I've seen is about 10-15. I think they might have too much HP to get the same life compared to toyota's other trucks. I think the Ford has a lot better gas mileage, but I haven't spent too much time in them compared to the new Tundra. I know the felt horsepower difference between the 5.7 in the Tundra and the 3.5 turbo Ford is a lot more than you would think by just looking at the specs! My brother in law has the Tundra which I have to drive a lot(I drive a taco), I don't ever see a reason I would NEED that truck, but I might like to have one some day. I think the Tacoma makes more sense in just about every situation except for safety. I just think the full size truck could take a lick much better than the Tacoma. Also, the Tundra will pull a good size load down the highway in 6th year at a pretty low RPM, lots of torque for a gas motor.

I wish I could give you a report on a newer model but the last new toyota I had to buy was in 02 its a 4:7 I force Sequoia. Nothing but gas oil tires and brakes since. Still runs like a new one and the 32 valve V8 is sooo smooth you can barely tell it's running. I would buy another Yota in a heartbeat if this one ever gives up. I have found their reputation to be well deserved indeed.

I wish I could give you a report on a newer model but the last new toyota I had to buy was in 02 its a 4:7 I force Sequoia. Nothing but gas oil tires and brakes since. Still runs like a new one and the 32 valve V8 is sooo smooth you can barely tell it's running. I would buy another Yota in a heartbeat if this one ever gives up. I have found their reputation to be well deserved indeed.

Thank you BHJ
This is what I was asking about.
Any particular problems you have heard of, Paint? Ball-joints? Anything particular?

I have never owned one but have some buddys that have them and love them. Almost bought one but got a deal on a GMC I couldnt turn done.

There was a recall issued a long time ago on ball joints or something??? I can't remember exactly what it was. I took it in to have it checked and it turns out that mine didn't have the "suspect" part on it and it came back with a clean bill of health. After 10 years I just got another recall I believe its some kind of debris that may fly from the airbags if deployed. From what I understand its a supplier problem that affects multiple makers that use airbags from the same source. Very safe though my wife was rear ended by an F 350 loaded with sand and bricks on 285 and came out unscathed. The 350 had to be towed and was slap tore up. She drove home no problem and the dealer had it fixed in no time. When I looked under it to see if there was damage I was treated to the view of 2 full cross members.on the frame between the rear bumper and the rear axel as well as the structure of the receiver hitch.looked like something my brother and I would design for a demolition derby :)
As part of the ownership experience I would like to throw in that they hold their value better than anything else I have ever bought. After making about 6 months of payments on a 60 month note I was not upside down like with other brands I have bought. The resale on em is crazy high and you can buy new for really close to what they sell for at two years old with 25K on em. Just a warm fuzzy knowing I wasn't trying to climb out of an I owe more than it's worth hole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom