• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thinking about getting into reloading

gilley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
17   0
Reaction score
I have been throwing the idea of doing it around for awhile now and want to know what I will need to start out/ what's the best press to get for a starter press and not spend a ton of money.. I will start out doing .38 and .9mm and then with time doing .223/.5.56 and others. So any help would be great.

And ps if anyone has a press for sale let me know. I have a laptop I'll be willing to trade for the right one

When I started out, I was an a budget so I bought a LEE single stage press and Lee dies. Here it is, almost 40 years later, and I am still on a budget. I still buy mostly Lee dies but do have RCBS, Lyman, and Redding also. Here is a Lee setup that has just about every thing you will need to get started except the dies: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690050

I am still using that same Lee press that I bought all those years ago.

I do have to say that I am also using a Dillon RL550B for all the pistol calaibers I load.

A press is just a start. Loading ain't hard. It does require your attention if you expect good results.

I can't stress learning the fundamentals enough.

I know folks that load tons of ammo, and they ain't a got clue when it comes to understanding how it works.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I understand the basic physics of loading. I know enough to know, "when in doubt, DON'T!"

The Lee Classic series are very good products. I've had a lot of presses, and the Classic Cast Turret is a bargain.
I also have a Classic Cast Breech Lock Single Stage.

I can't imagine better presses for my application. I'd be happy either one.

My only advice now, learn the basics.

I started with a Lee Classic Cast 4-hole turret press...and I am still using it now. I bought a kit from Kempf Gun Shop...and about the only thing I have upgraded is my scale. I decided I like the ease of use of a digital jeweler's scale for my powder measuring.

And I second Chuckdog's sentiments as well. I know enough to safely load my 38's...but that's about it. Learn everything you can...it might be a life or death matter if you don't.

I have found that Midsouth has the best prices for just about everything for reloading. I have with compared side by side tabs and they seem to be the best every time (including shipping).

I would suggest that you invest in a couple of Reloading manuals and do some heavy reading before you buy the kit. I would suggest the newest Lyman manual (#49 I think) and probably the Hornady manual. The first 1/3 if the book is extremely full of information that you will need.

When I started out, I was an a budget so I bought a LEE single stage press and Lee dies. Here it is, almost 40 years later, and I am still on a budget. I still buy mostly Lee dies but do have RCBS, Lyman, and Redding also. Here is a Lee setup that has just about every thing you will need to get started except the dies: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690050

I am still using that same Lee press that I bought all those years ago.

I do have to say that I am also using a Dillon RL550B for all the pistol calaibers I load.
Here is the same thing for $81

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/anivers.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom