• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This guy sounds like one or two ODTers I've met...

LOL that last paragraph was choice!

Great obit. I've often thought I should write my own. I think I'd have folks laughing. Anyone else want to write their own eulogy? Sort of getting the last word in so to speak. LOL!

After attending some funerals recently I think writing your own would be great.

Starting out with - If you are hearing these words I'm probably in a box in front of you now...

After attending some funerals recently I think writing your own would be great.

Starting out with - If you are hearing these words I'm probably in a box in front of you now...

A good friend & GREAT church member got cancer about 10 years ago, it soon became obvious that he was not going to "beat it".
He was a fireman (@Leatherhead Dingo Dingo ) and trophy fisherman, a relatively young man with a teenage boy and girl at the time.
I didn't know him that well (big church) so He got my preacher to ask if I would video tape him giving his own Eulogy, I agreed to do it.
Just the two of us shot it on a beautiful day down at my gazebo, He and I laughed and cried for hours that day...
NOBODY but he & I and his wife saw the edited version (that's how He wanted it) until the day of the funeral.
Our church sat about 900 and the brotherhood of Firemen & Police REALLY turn out for funerals, it was standing room only, and overflowing.
When all the lights went down you can only imagine the "GASPS" of the crowd when his face came up on the 20 foot by 20 foot screen.
Jarod started out with: "Well... if you are at my church and watching me and hearing me I guess it is a little weird for you... because... I'm dead"
His delivery and timing was perfect... HILARIOUS... not tacky like it sounds like as I typed it... the crowd knowing him CRACKED UP!
He told funny stories, talked about happy times, a few sad stories but VERY personal and powerful testimony...
It was the only one I have ever done, probably wouldn't do another one, my allergies can't take it.

A good friend & GREAT church member got cancer about 10 years ago, it soon became obvious that he was not going to "beat it".
He was a fireman (@Leatherhead Dingo Dingo ) and trophy fisherman, a relatively young man with a teenage boy and girl at the time.
I didn't know him that well (big church) so He got my preacher to ask if I would video tape him giving his own Eulogy, I agreed to do it.
Just the two of us shot it on a beautiful day down at my gazebo, He and I laughed and cried for hours that day...
NOBODY but he & I and his wife saw the edited version (that's how He wanted it) until the day of the funeral.
Our church sat about 900 and the brotherhood of Firemen & Police REALLY turn out for funerals, it was standing room only, and overflowing.
When all the lights went down you can only imagine the "GASPS" of the crowd when his face came up on the 20 foot by 20 foot screen.
Jarod started out with: "Well... if you are at my church and watching me and hearing me I guess it is a little weird for you... because... I'm dead"
His delivery and timing was perfect... HILARIOUS... not tacky like it sounds like as I typed it... the crowd knowing him CRACKED UP!
He told funny stories, talked about happy times, a few sad stories but VERY personal and powerful testimony...
It was the only one I have ever done, probably wouldn't do another one, my allergies can't take it.

I think that is wonderful, a funeral should be a celebration of a life, the joys, the love, the pitfalls but always the smiles. Sadly firefighting and cancer go hand in hand far too often.

Back
Top Bottom