• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

This is why I do not carry any more

Im in full agreement with everyone in here about the whole "Judged by 12 than carried by 6" thing but does this not scare you? I mean an older 64 year old guy defends himself from what he thought to be immanent danger, and he then gets convicted for 10 years!!! WTF I mean ill still carry everywhere I can but makes ya wonder what would happen if it went to trial! And ill tell ya one thing, after all this ZImmerman/Trayvorn bull**** IF I ever shoot someone I will volunteer to be taken downtown, mirandized, questioned, and then cleared! God forbid I dont get arrested and ****in Al Sharpton and them come after little ole me

Started doing some research on what happens to people who reasonably use thier guns for self defense and was blown away by the repercussions; not much different than the story developing in Florida. I'm looking into other less lethal forms of self defense. There is no good answer...that is not a cliche. Home self defense is different, but out in the real world, I'm done.

While it is a decision each person has to make for themsekves, most people spend too much time focusing on "hardware" & nor enough time on "software". It is CRUCIAL to learn the laws governing deadly force BEFORE you get in a situation where you may (or may not) need to use it.

So many situations, such as the one down in Florida, could have very likely been avoided if the person involved would have spent more time learning the laws instead of obcessing over the latest, greatest, prettiest new gun.

People never learn... if you carry a gun but don't spend any time educating yourself then the chances of being the next "Zimmerman" are pretty high.

Last edited:
I'll bet he was convicted because the prosecutor convinced the jury that he went beyond "stopping the threat" with 3 shots. I probably would have kept shooting till he dropped also.

While it is a decision each person has to make for themsekves, most people spend too much time focusing on "hardware" & nor enough time on "software". It is CRUCIAL to learn the laws governing deadly force BEFORE you get in a situation where you may (or may not) need to use it.

So many situations, such as the one down in Florida, could have very likely been avoided if the person involved would have spent more time learning the laws instead of obcessing over the latest, greatest, prettiest new gun.

People never learn... if you carry a gun but don't spend any time educating yourself then the chances of being the next "Zimmerman" are pretty high.
+1000

Very well said and pretty much my thoughts. If one is properly trained, well disciplined and adequately educated; great and best wishes to them. I think I might fall way short on the proper situational training and I'm not ashamed to admit the sense of responsibility I felt when carrying, overwhelmed my sense of security.

Back
Top Bottom