• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on Dillon Square deal

I've always stood up to load. Sitting on a stool or chair just seems really awkward to me.
I need to get a Hundo Gauge. I just use my Shadow 2 to plunk test all my rounds. it has the tightest and shortest chamber of any 9mm I own so if it passes it, it will pass anything.

I know someone wanting a SDB if you decide to upgrade soon(doubt you will)

I've always stood up to load. Sitting on a stool or chair just seems really awkward to me.
I need to get a Hundo Gauge. I just use my Shadow 2 to plunk test all my rounds. it has the tightest and shortest chamber of any 9mm I own so if it passes it, it will pass anything.

I know someone wanting a SDB if you decide to upgrade soon(doubt you will)
Hundo is great. Pretty tight though. It's rejected a few rounds that my shadow 2 took just fine.

Found a 380 that snuck through and got loaded too.

Still digging the SDB. No plans to upgrade just yet.

E982C676-B951-400C-B662-E44089A0B7ED.jpeg

Just an opinion here. You might want to try using a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the last stage. I find it does a better job than the Dillon crimp die and it might resolve any issues with the rejected rounds.

Good choice on the SD but you actually can't go wrong with any Dillon. I have 3 and use them regularly.

Just an opinion here. You might want to try using a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the last stage. I find it does a better job than the Dillon crimp die and it might resolve any issues with the rejected rounds.

Good choice on the SD but you actually can't go wrong with any Dillon. I have 3 and use them regularly.
Thanks for the feedback.

The issue is tied directly to a few oddball headstamps. CBC is one that stands out in my mind. Think that's Magtech.

Honestly haven't paid too much attention since I know they plunk in my tightest chamber just fine - the hundo case gauge is way tighter than my tightest gun. I expected this going in.

I just chamber check them or toss them in the practice bin.

If it gives me any more fits, I'll look into the Lee.

I had some chambering issues in one of my Glocks before I switched to the Lee Die. It seems to have fixed the problem. I have loaded a ton of 9mm and CBC and Magtech have also been and issue for me. The case thickness seems to be just a hair thicker. I noticed those when I would check the OAL as they did not seat at the preferred OAL. However, they shot just fine.

Good luck with the SD.

I don't think you can use the Lee die in a SDB, they have a SDB specific mounting system and dies. Now in a 550B, I use the Lees almost exclusively.

Rosewood

You may be correct but I saw an earlier post that mentioned other manufacturers dies. I have not used the SD but have used the 550, 650 and 1050 and they work in all of those so I just assumed they would work on the SD.

Jumping in here, it sounds like the OP may load rifle someday and I think that's it's wise to plan your purchase from Dillon on that premise.

That said, I'll pitch the 550b (they call it the 550c now?). You can use it for umpteen calibers in a progressive, semi-progressive or "single stage" fashion.

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

You're not going to save much money loading 9mm yourself, but you do get to tailor your ammo. I've discovered big differences in group size by changing powders and seating depth. It matters for pistols, too, and even at ten yards. So I load it myself. And I shoot about half what you do per month.

And for me, when I can pay under 30 cents for .223, it's not remotely worth fooling with reloading it. With the lubing and decrimping and assuming you don't have to trim, it's just not worth the money savings with today's component prices to be worth my time. Get me bullets for a nickel, and primers for 2 cents and maybe I'll change my tune, but those days seem gone. .308 is a different story, not to mention hunting rifle rounds. But I don't use the Dillon for those (other than .308 ball for competition).

Back
Top Bottom