Timing chain components

Lobo1

Default rank <5000 posts
Lone Wolf
25   0
Reaction score
image.jpeg
i got g 2004 F150 Supercrew Lariat with the infamous 5.4 ltr 3 valve engine. 200,657 miles on the clock. I started hearing a "slapping" noise when I cranked her up on a cold start up. I immediately knew I had a timing chain issue. Pulled the valve covers off and sure nuff, both timing chains were loose. Tore the front of the engine down and dropped the oil pan. Both timing chain guides were shattered. Both tensioner guides were ok. Here's what I cleaned out of my oil pan(pic above) I replaced both cam phasers, both variable cam solenoids, both chain tensioners, both chain guides, both tensioner guides, both timing chains, crankshaft gear, oil pump, oil pump strainer, water pump ( I was right there at it so I changed it too), timing chain cover and now she runs and idles like new again. While I was doing it, I called around to see how much dealership and other repair shops charge to do this repair. The most expensive was $2,750.00 and the cheapest was $2,400.00 parts and labor. It AINT that bad of a job to do. I did all the work myself and spent a total of $614.73 on parts, not including new oil, filter and coolant. I think I did pretty good. Trying to convince my wife that I should pay myself for my labor by buying another gun with part of the $2100 bucks we saved. She don't see it that way though. :confused2:

View attachment 729662 i got g 2004 F150 Supercrew Lariat with the infamous 5.4 ltr 3 valve engine. 200,657 miles on the clock. I started hearing a "slapping" noise when I cranked her up on a cold start up. I immediately knew I had a timing chain issue. Pulled the valve covers off and sure nuff, both timing chains were loose. Tore the front of the engine down and dropped the oil pan. Both timing chain guides were shattered. Both tensioner guides were ok. Here's what I cleaned out of my oil pan(pic above) I replaced both cam phasers, both variable cam solenoids, both chain tensioners, both chain guides, both tensioner guides, both timing chains, crankshaft gear, oil pump, oil pump strainer, water pump ( I was right there at it so I changed it too), timing chain cover and now she runs and idles like new again. While I was doing it, I called around to see how much dealership and other repair shops charge to do this repair. The most expensive was $2,750.00 and the cheapest was $2,400.00 parts and labor. It AINT that bad of a job to do. I did all the work myself and spent a total of $614.73 on parts, not including new oil, filter and coolant. I think I did pretty good. Trying to convince my wife that I should pay myself for my labor by buying another gun with part of the $2100 bucks we saved. She don't see it that way though. :confused2:

Sounds reasonable to me! :becky:

I'm with you on that one. I cannot bring myself to forking out the jack that someone else will charge me for doing something that I am fully capable of doing myself. I rebuilt and bullet proofed and chipped a 6.0 powerstroke last year. It was the first diesel I had ever done. THANK GOD FOR YOUTUBE! But, it turned out awesome. and saved about 4k doing it myself including upgrades that wouldn't have been included in someone else's price. (and I did manage to sneak an AR into the final cost...shush!)

I'm with you on that one. I cannot bring myself to forking out the jack that someone else will charge me for doing something that I am fully capable of doing myself. I rebuilt and bullet proofed and chipped a 6.0 powerstroke last year. It was the first diesel I had ever done. THANK GOD FOR YOUTUBE! But, it turned out awesome. and saved about 4k doing it myself including upgrades that wouldn't have been included in someone else's price. (and I did manage to sneak an AR into the final cost...shush!)

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom