• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tipping: I can't be the only one, right?

There is indeed a crazy tipping culture we have created for ourselves here in the US.
Tipping seems to be encouraged now in other industries where tipping was previously not expected.
We tip the food delivery driver, but don't tip the Amazon Driver?
We tip at a sit down restaurant, but don't tip at fast food places?
Who do we tip and not tip at the hotel?

I don't have a solution for how to switch to the simpler business culture we see in other parts of the world where tax is included and no tipping, but I think the tipping culture will continue to extend until drastic changes are made or we just tip everyone :rolleyes:

While we are changing the way we do business, I would like to see the gasoline industry switch to prices to the nearest penny per gallon.. During the depression when gas was a dime, fractional pricing to support the gasoline tax was understandable. Those day are long gone. What other industry has fractional pricing at the consumer level?

I lived in Japan for several years. You do not tip people there. Everyone, from the waiter in your favorite restaurant to your taxi drives considers their job a profession and as such they consider them selves to be professional waiters or taxi drivers or any number of other jobs. To tip them is an insult and says you don't think they are professional enough to command a reasonable wage. I found it very interesting and was taught that lesson by a kindly taxi driver when I first arrived. He understood how Americans are barbarians and don't have any qualms about insulting professional and took it as his duty to inform me. I didn't make that mistake again during the 6 years I was there.

Went to a VERY well known Cajun restaurant in Acworth and sat at the bar for a bourbon before dinner. Mine was straight, hers was on the rocks. The bill came and it said "$1.00 neat" extra on top of the $12 for my drink. My wife's said "$1.00 rocks" extra on top of her $12. Now that's some BS there...
I've been in a couple of places recently where they did this crap. ("MARTINI - $1.00) on the ticket in addition to the drink price.

First of all, the "martini" could barely be called such because the stupid bartender ham handed the vermouth into the extra dry vodka (I hate vermouth in any amount other than a drop or two) and secondly, you served that GD drink in a rocks glass because you didn't have a martini glass, and finally, how the **** do you not have a blue cheese stuffed olive and call yourself a "bar?"

I've been in a couple of places recently where they did this crap. ("MARTINI - $1.00) on the ticket in addition to the drink price.

First of all, the "martini" could barely be called such because the stupid bartender ham handed the vermouth into the extra dry vodka (I hate vermouth in any amount other than a drop or two) and secondly, you served that GD drink in a rocks glass because you didn't have a martini glass, and finally, how the **** do you not have a blue cheese stuffed olive and call yourself a "bar?"
For a dry martini, you should only have to open the bottle of vermouth and set it on the bar next to the vodka...:becky:

There is indeed a crazy tipping culture we have created for ourselves here in the US.
Tipping seems to be encouraged now in other industries where tipping was previously not expected.
We tip the food delivery driver, but don't tip the Amazon Driver?
We tip at a sit down restaurant, but don't tip at fast food places?
Who do we tip and not tip at the hotel?

I don't have a solution for how to switch to the simpler business culture we see in other parts of the world where tax is included and no tipping, but I think the tipping culture will continue to extend until drastic changes are made or we just tip everyone :rolleyes:

While we are changing the way we do business, I would like to see the gasoline industry switch to prices to the nearest penny per gallon.. During the depression when gas was a dime, fractional pricing to support the gasoline tax was understandable. Those day are long gone. What other industry has fractional pricing at the consumer level?
When I was doing estate liquidations on the weekends in SF, I'd occasionally come across tokens denominated in mils (like your property tax bill) that were for flour, fuel, etc. Have no idea how those were used in commerce. I'd have to ask somebody older than dirt to find out.

I lived in Japan for several years. You do not tip people there. Everyone, from the waiter in your favorite restaurant to your taxi drives considers their job a profession and as such they consider them selves to be professional waiters or taxi drivers or any number of other jobs. To tip them is an insult and says you don't think they are professional enough to command a reasonable wage. I found it very interesting and was taught that lesson by a kindly taxi driver when I first arrived. He understood how Americans are barbarians and don't have any qualms about insulting professional and took it as his duty to inform me. I didn't make that mistake again during the 6 years I was there.
Excellent observation. I think the issue here is twofold. #1 these employers are still legally allowed to pay servers etc below minimum wage and expect us the consumer to compensate their employees with these tips. It's a win/win for the employer. #2 our service industry type jobs like those you mentioned are considered menial here and don't attract the best workers in most cases. They are considered bottom of the barrel, and we've been taught to not respect them as a result.

I know a few Asians in the professional fields that absolutely still look down on service type jobs. They are seen as second class/peasants still, especially among Indian and Chinese. Japan is a whole different culture in and of itself for sure.

Ok, Eddie Bauer.

cant-hide-money.gif

Back
Top Bottom