• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tipping: I can't be the only one, right?

The federal government allows restaurateurs to pay wait staff less than minimum wage and we subsidize the rest of their pay
It's 100% a reminder that the federal government is OK with people being paid less than they should because they can get us to cover the difference in tips
Time to listen to this interview with President Ronald Regan. Listen what he says at minute 0:40

I was at applebee's a couple weeks ago, my check was $13.xx and I paid with a $20. Waited and waited to get my change, finally asked for it and she said she thought the balance was hers. I said NO, gimme all my change back.

I heard the Mark Arum show too, some of that crap was crazy. I worked on the road for years, NEVER tipped my hotel maid, would have been thousands of dollars if I had of. I spent 250+ nights a year on the road for over 20 years. Only time I tipped was when the maid stole loose change from my room.

Why? They charge a fee and you pay them that full fee? What's the tip do?
Well my wife used to have to pay "Booth Rent" to the owner of the salon every Saturday. It was about $85.00. And that was 04/05. I can't imagine what it would be now. So just like waiting tables you're standing there waiting for a customer. If you're not in a busy area that $85.00 could be a lot. When I moved in with my wife I was proud to hand her a hundred dollar bill to cover her rent. Because trust me they don't make money every week.

I've dated waitresses, my wife waited tables at one time in her life and my daughter worked as a waitress for a while. I tip for good service. I also tip my barber when I get a high dollar clean up

When I was in my teens I worked in a restaurant and learned something then most don't know, a waitress/waiter gets taxed a percentage of each ticket like 15% so if you don't tip them they are still responsible for the money they didn't get it's a stupid game but if they are good they make good money and of course there are the cheapskate's that don't tip that's life, I tip by there performance 10% minimum for below average service, 15% for average service 20+% for great service.
What I can't stand is delivery fees when they are not paying the driver anything extra not covering gas or expenses that pisses me off because it's more profit for the company not the employees.

I have found that a lot of transplanted Northerners tip the Shiite out of everyone....from the home Depot guy who helped them load 3 bags of mulch to the Verizon guy who helped them find a picture on their phone to the Petco girl who scooped out the right goldfish for their 5 yr old.

I know in some parts of Europe you have to give envelopes with money just for regular services, and more importantly, to be seen or be put ahead of a line... doctors, government offices, etc.

My first job was bagging at a Bi Lo in north Macon back in 87. I used to make at least $10.00 a day taking groceries out and loading them in people's cars. But nobody does that anymore.

That pisses me off they'd force that on them, I never knew that. I'll start doing like $2 on the plastic and tip the rest in cash like you said
Yeah it pisses me off too. The gubment and the bidness just assumes that it's always a booming economy where every customer is a good tipper . But most of the time they're not. Unless you work in a high end restaurant it's not worth having those jobs anymore. And even then the customers work you to death for what you do get.

Back
Top Bottom