• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tired of the overuse of the word "Rare"!

5bassman

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
124   0
Reaction score
Too many "for sale" gun ads today have the word "rare" in the title. This word gets way over used. My opinion of a rare gun is that only a few (4-5) were made. If a few hundred were made, then "scarce" is a better word. If a few thousand were made but they're not seen on the market often, then "not often seen" works. IBut if they made thousands of a particular gun it's not rare! Sorry. Rant over.

:rolleyes: there where 2,999 Colt model 1877 Lightning's made in the year 1877. This was the first year the DA .38 LC was made. So if I own S/N 149X and the DA works, does that make it "RARE"?

LMAO according to Colt Firearms Archiving section, it does. They tried to purchase it from me. HA!

:rolleyes: there where 2,999 Colt model 1877 Lightning's made in the year 1877. This was the first year the DA .38 LC was made. So if I own S/N 149X and the DA works, does that make it "RARE"?

LMAO according to Colt Firearms Archiving section, it does. They tried to purchase it from me.
I guess it would depend on how many are left. In 139 years since they were made I would guess there aren't but a few hundred left around. I recently sold a S&W 042 and there were only around 3000 made. Most of those are probably still around, so that falls in the seldom seen or scarce catagory.

only one I've put it on is the a5 I have listed but I cant find a single other one like it for sale and theres not even one in gunbrokers finished auctions so I figured it fits lol.

Back
Top Bottom