• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tired of the overuse of the word "Rare"!

......you mean like this lnib rare Glock 19? F/S $800 Or trades only if they're heavily in my favor! :thumb:
image.jpeg

......you mean like this lnib rare Glock 19? F/S $800 Or trades only if they're heavily in my favor! :thumb:View attachment 770721

You do realize that is one of the "rare" lake recoveries from all these dumbass rednecks who keep losing them whilst trying to tote their guns to the other side of the lake in a john boat... At that price it's "deal of the week" at a minimum.

They should be required to specify what makes it "rare".

rare1
rer/
adjective
  1. (of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often.
    "a rare genetic disorder"
    synonyms: infrequent, scarce, sparse, few and far between, thin on the ground, like gold dust, as scarce as hen's teeth; More

It's subjective. I have several guns that I'd consider "rare". Whether that adds value or not is debatable, and there are different types of rare.

Example: I own a Steyr GB. There were only ~15-20k imported into the United States, so it's a "rare" pistol, but I have the civilian version which is by far the most common of the two variants. So while it's a "rare pistol", it's a common variant of a rare pistol. Plus it has $200 magazines.

Another example is a Finnish Ski Trooper Mosin I used to own. From my research only a few thousand were made in that configuration, and an unknown number imported. So again, a rare variant of a common rifle.

Final example off the top of my head is a Baikal IZH-81KM that I own. EAA only imported them between 1999 and 2000. From everything I've read, not many were imported and it wasn't a big seller. I'd easily call it the rarest gun I own, though you'd find a ton of them in Canada and Russia. So it's a rare gun in the US market but no so much elsewhere.

But you can make anything rare. I have a Glock 20 made in April of 1991. April of 1991 was the first April in which Glock 20's were available on the US market, and I was born in April of 1990, so obviously this gun is rare as hell and is worth several thousand dollars because it somewhat matches up with the year I was born. Though on a Glock note, Gen1 17's are becoming "uncommon" and will probably be "rare" within the next 10-20 years as only die hard collectors and those who love the old grip design won't send them in to Glock for refurbishment. Does it add a lot of value? Probably not, unless you're like me and hate the Gen3/4 frame design.

Back
Top Bottom