• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tired of the overuse of the word "Rare"!

5bassman, you are correct, RARE is probably over used when describing some guns. And, more importantly, some think that RARE means the guns will command a higher than normal price. To me, when I think of RARE, I think S&W Registered Magnums. There were over 5000 Registered Magnums produced, and probably just as many Non-Registered Magnums. But, I still consider those Smiths RARE. The S&W M520, as an example, to me is not as rare as the Registered Magnum, but only 3000 were produced. Would I call the M520 rare? Well, yes, because it is still the only square butt, fixed sight, N frame produced in .357 that is pinned and recessed. But it will not bring the money that a Registered Magnum will command. The M042 you mentioned, is a seldom seen model, much like the M42, flat latch. Both are not highly sought after models and the prices for them reflects that fact. While the total production numbers may indicate a RARE model, low production numbers does not make it a RARE and expensive collectible.

What rare model would I like to have? How about a S&W M28 with a factory nickel finish. Or, to stay in the same model, how about a M28 with an 8 3/8ths in barrel. I am told a few were made, although I have never seen one in person.

Too many "for sale" gun ads today have the word "rare" in the title. This word gets way over used. My opinion of a rare gun is that only a few (4-5) were made. If a few hundred were made, then "scarce" is a better word. If a few thousand were made but they're not seen on the market often, then "not often seen" works. IBut if they made thousands of a particular gun it's not rare! Sorry. Rant over.

You know what you're problem is. You have a serious reading comprehension fail.

It's not the gun that is rare. It's the PRICE that is rare. Where else can you go and see Glocks priced at $700+??? :noidea: ODT pricing is a rare thing indeed. ;)

Back
Top Bottom