• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To all you wolverines-

I have an escape route planned to get as close to my family (KS) as stored supplies will let me in order to protect them. I have terrible about keeping ready since I have moved down here. I usually practice with my bow at my parents house but arrows are expensive and are costly to replace. Modern composites should help them hold up in the coming storm but eventually they will break down forcing me to rely on ammunition stores to get by with defense or hunting. As for helping people, that will get you killed pretty damn fast in the lawless state that will follow the SHTF.

The reason the wolverines worked so well in the SHTF situation is that so many people were rounded up in the attack that not many made it to the woods. IN our scenarios we tend to think of the power going out, our government collapsing or some other event happening that causes people to panic. In the road a huge firestorm engulfed the world killing off many many people and animals that could have been used for sustenance. However not enough people were killed by the storm to make living off of the land effective. If you could survive a crashed stat long enough the game would come back as long as the population continued to shrink. Look at I am Legend or Omega Man or Last man on the planet. He was able to survive because the population was diminished to extreme lows.

In preparation - You and each person you are with should be able to carry a pack that weighs close to 80 pounds plus your webbed gear, rifle(s), pistols and knives. That means you might be toting close to 100#'s when it is all said and done. IF you are going to be doing a lot of walking you need to learn how to with a heavy pack. I did 75 miles in two weeks with a 60# pack and if you do not understand the caloric requirements of doing so you are going to exhaust your self and your food supply quickly. Also you need to consider the terrain you will be walking over, hiking and hunting and survival boots are made for walking on dirt and earth, not asphalt. That means increased stress on your body and gear if you decide to walk the roads. meaning you succumb to exhaustion easier. Think about that when you consider how to get the hell out of dodge when it happens.

Just some stuff to think about when planning the shtf scenario.

friday afternoon rush hour plugs it up anyway. add in cars that have run out of gas/crashes due to people going crazy and you don't have a chance of using interstates.

people who think the woods is a good plan are fools. living without a real shelter would be hell.

A decent plan would be plugging them as you go if you could honestly do something like that. The first few days would be critical to get the **** out of dodge before John q public realized what is going on. Get gas at mom and pop shops and pay with cash. After day 7 without power if everyone is not getting out they will be trying.

friday afternoon rush hour plugs it up anyway. add in cars that have run out of gas/crashes due to people going crazy and you don't have a chance of using interstates.

people who think the woods is a good plan are fools. living without a real shelter would be hell.

That is so true. Camping is fun for a while, but proper shelter would be one of the first orders of business.

People believe they will live off the land. I think game (deer, squirrels, rabbits, pigs, birds) would be nearly extinct within weeks. There as SO many more people now. The land cannot support the population without modern farms and ranches.

Without fuel for cars/boats, the ocean would actually thrive. Imagine the ocean without commercial fishing. Thats literally tons of fish, shrimp, crab, ect. not being caught every day. Populations should explode without the pressure of fishing from vessels. Even if everyone in georgia casts a line on the beach, they wouldn't be able to touch anything offshore and 99.99% have no experience sailing- it isn't that easy.

I live within a mile of a HUGE lake, There are rabbits and deer and fish in abundance. My house includes a 900 square foot basement that is underground on 3 sides(the garage outer wall and door are at ground level). It sould be fairly easy to abaondon the upper level and blockade the stairwell leaving only on means of entry and THAT could be blocked off pretty easily. I feel pretty good about my nest. I DO live in a sub-division with neighbors who would be classified as enemies in a SHTF condition but I hope most would "bug out" leaving me the hood mostly to myself. I tihnk my biggest shortcomings are supplies. I REALLY need to get it together in THAT department. The only other major concern I have is being down river of Atlanta. I worry about runoff and contamination of the water and fish.

While I was kidding around a few posts back, this is an interesting post where we could talk "what-if" scenarios all day. The type, scope, and severity of "SHTF" event would dictate my course of action.

t sould be fairly easy to abaondon the upper level and blockade the stairwell leaving only on means of entry and THAT could be blocked off pretty easily. I feel pretty good about my nest.

mdog...if Atlanta ever goes belly up there is no question you will be getting a lot of "evil milk" coming down the "hooch". Last thing I would do is limit myself to one mean of entry and exit.....one fire bomb or smoke engine and your toast.

Clogged highways? no prob!!! Something like this on a larger scale:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
I second that motion. Your post is pretty acurate and I do hope we wont come to that. I have a cabin in Cleveland, Ga, however, most of middle GA is home to boars, deer, turkeys and has a more milder winter so planting crops wouldnt be a waste. Im seriously thinking about trying to find some sort of land down there and park a 53' cargo container on it and prep it incase Nov 2012 comes around and the dawn of the Apocolypse is upon us

Well it's all well and good to tell everyone they're all doomed. Realistically, though, people make the preps they're able and hope it's enough. The most likely scenario is not worst case scenario, so even minimal preps will likely be sufficient. People have to balance their resources against the possible scenarios and what's actually most likely to happen. If you have unlimited resources, great, but most people with limited resources will only be able to make limited preparations. We can't all afford a mountain bomb shelter complex stocked for a decade's worth of being buttoned up and self-contained.

So think about that as you're mocking people for inadequate plans or preps.

Back
Top Bottom