• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To all you wolverines-

A survival item I rarely see listed is fishing gear. Most of us have way too much fishing gear as is, but salt water is hard on it. All you need is quality reels, hooks, fresh line, and a casting net to get bait.

Great point on the fishing gear! I am working on making my kit better as all I have is the basic military type survival kit....I have emailed Dave Wendell from Bushcraft on Fire for a breakdown on his kit. He has (I have been told) put together a really nice kit.

Great point on the fishing gear! I am working on making my kit better as all I have is the basic military type survival kit....I have emailed Dave Wendell from Bushcraft on Fire for a breakdown on his kit. He has (I have been told) put together a really nice kit.

post the kit up here if you get the email. thanks

Wow that was quick.....Apparently he is working on a vid. In the meantime he sent this link from another survival dude (only prob it is an audio):

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/assembling-and-using-a-survival-fishing-kit

Apparently Dave Wendell's kit is similar to the PVC Pipe Kits that others have made. Still would like to see his vid as he is pretty thorough when he covers a topic.

Last edited:
I second that motion. Your post is pretty acurate and I do hope we wont come to that. I have a cabin in Cleveland, Ga, however, most of middle GA is home to boars, deer, turkeys and has a more milder winter so planting crops wouldnt be a waste. Im seriously thinking about trying to find some sort of land down there and park a 53' cargo container on it and prep it incase Nov 2012 comes around and the dawn of the Apocolypse is upon us

I'm right here with you on this one...middle Ga is where it's at! Mild winters, farm land and plenty of wildlife... you're kinda in the crossroads of the south...plus I grew up there and I know alot of folks!

I'm right here with you on this one...middle Ga is where it's at! Mild winters, farm land and plenty of wildlife... you're kinda in the crossroads of the south...plus I grew up there and I know alot of folks!

There is 110 acres for sale in Upson County. Last time I checked the owner( a timber company) was asking $1100 an acre. Any takers???

Lol ok, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Please, go back to giving us survival tips. Or, if it makes you feel better, post one more jab at me and I'll let you have the last word, as it's obvious that's all you're interested in right now. I won't disturb you anymore, ok?
Nope, didn't hurt my feelings. As far as tips, I wasn't giving them. If you opened your eyes and shut your mouth you would see they were things I thought about when reading SHTF threads. However, since you're the pinnacle of intelligence, I'm sure you already knew all of that. Carry on.
this is why you post here. you get different ideas thrown around, some good some bad, some fresh and some old. If you don't like it, the back button is right up top. Save the pissing contest and trivial junk for other site's general discussion.

The point I need to work on is spare parts. I'd have to cannibalize working guns to repair a broken one since I have zero spares on hand. No springs, no bolts, no gas rings. That alone makes me doubt long term serviceability of an ar15. I'd have much more confidence in my wasr ak not breaking down. Dunkel- I do need more duct tape, you can use that stuff for everything! though I doubt a duct tape gas ring would last long.

A survival item I rarely see listed is fishing gear. Most of us have way too much fishing gear as is, but salt water is hard on it. All you need is quality reels, hooks, fresh line, and a casting net to get bait.
This is true, I never think about fishing equipment. I would like to try to fashion a Bear Grylls fishing setup once, just to see if I could.
What about bottled water? I know it says it expires, but does it really "go bad" per se? I've seen some sootch00 on youtube advertise those huge waterbags, but don't recall him saying anything about expiration,etc..

Thanks bill, that was the point I was trying to make. It's all well and good to plan to do XYZ, but if you don't have the ability to make it reality, it's all a waste of time. Better to plan realistically and actually pull your plan off, even if it's not perfect.

I agree with that 100%

Its nice to say I am going to get all this property thousands of rounds of ammo, tons of guns, stockpiles of food and water, etc.....

But you need to plan with what is feasable for YOU.... the best you can do.

Thinking about that porche you want one day does you no good when your truck is in the driveway broke and you cant get to work now...lol

I live within a mile of a HUGE lake, There are rabbits and deer and fish in abundance. My house includes a 900 square foot basement that is underground on 3 sides(the garage outer wall and door are at ground level). It sould be fairly easy to abaondon the upper level and blockade the stairwell leaving only on means of entry and THAT could be blocked off pretty easily. I feel pretty good about my nest. I DO live in a sub-division with neighbors who would be classified as enemies in a SHTF condition but I hope most would "bug out" leaving me the hood mostly to myself. I tihnk my biggest shortcomings are supplies. I REALLY need to get it together in THAT department. The only other major concern I have is being down river of Atlanta. I worry about runoff and contamination of the water and fish.

You're in my neck of the woods. Will give you a shout. Further north, but on 8+ acres and a pretty tight self sustaining community..

OP - I do agree with the premise of the thread. It does kind of come off as brash, but well it's the truth. It's what I have said all along. Everybody thinks that excuse (running to the mountains or woods) will save their asses. Far from it. Indeed...

Back
Top Bottom