• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To Carry at Work or not to Carry at Work

I wish Georgia could pass a law like they did in Tennessee, where you can store your firearm in a vehicle while on company property and the company/employer has no say in the matter. A friend was taking night classes several years ago and told me about the big 'no firearms on campus' signs at the parking lot entrances. He was careful to keep his handgun out of sight and his mouth zipped about it while in the classroom. He said he would never give anyone permission to search his vehicle and hoped it never came down to that ... or a shooting incident at the school.
In Georgia the company cannot take action against you for having a gun in your car unless the parking lot is " secured " . I would assume by secured that would mean fenced with access control gate or manned guard house.
As far as college campus goes, weapons license holders can have a weapon in the car as long as they are not enrolled as students .

Students should intentionally break the laws they don't agree with and risk their future at school and face potential criminal charges regardless of the law.

Employees should put their families well being, financial stability, and entire career at risk regardless of company policies.

Fixed it for you.

I always carry concealed on the job, it's kind of a don't ask don't tell thing at our job. My boss knows we are into firearms and own plenty but we don't talk about carrying we just do it. Bottom line is I'd rather ask for forgivness than permission, if you feel the need to carry than I urge you to do so regardless of company policy

Stoneman, I had something similar at a place I used to work at. They had a relaxed policy about carrying a knife, meaning: don't cut yourself, don't threaten anybody else and nobody cared. Then we got a new upper-level manager who decided on her own that nobody working under her would have a knife, at all. My boss told us the new policy and where it came from. Most of us guy who kept a knife clipped on our pants pocket just dropped them in the pockets so it was 'out of sight and out of mind'. Our boss could honestly say none of his employees had been seen with a knife. Except for one idiot who decided he could carry his big knife in a pouch on his belt where anybody could see the knife for what it was. He got wrote up for it and finally quit. Sometimes being the gray man is a good thing where visibility is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom