• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

To the owners of "unfired" firearms

I've got a .308 sitting right beside me that I bought new an i've never shot it. and some of my used ones I haven't shot either. lack of places to shoot is most of the problem an the other is getting time to go.

Some folks get tired of. Cleaning 5or 6 guns after a range day. And only take. 2 or 3 the rest just get a rest and remain low round count. Some just never become favorites and remain low round count and often wind up for sale or trade. Some just cost too much to shoot often. These guns are also the ones usually associated with wicked recoil which can also keep the round count down. Unfired can have several causes too like having a gun you like so much you keep a new one in reserve or maybe having a couple of nice pickups that you just don't get around to. You know, Gun nut problems.

My favorite is th NIB posts that say "shoots great"

Haven't seen that yet. Guess I am naive or just tend to want to believe people are honest. Didn't mean to imply that folks are being deceptive, I just can hardly resist loading the whole bunch every time I got to the range. If I haven't shot it in a year I tend to trade for some thing I do want to shoot.

I don't understand the "never fired" thing in general.

The only time I would think it would be appropriate would be with guns which were made for black powder and should not be fired with modern ammo. Ex: Old "damascus twist" shotguns-they should generally never be fired with modern factory loads. You could wreck a beautiful piece of history-and your face.

Other than that-I think the "never fired" is some kind of sales gimmick to fool the gullible. I can present to anyone a gun which I claim has "never been fired" and they could not prove me wrong. A lightly used gun looks completely "never fired" if it is cleaned up right. I however, do not use that "never fired" term. I also don't fool with "round count." That term is entirely meaningless-and completely unverifiable as well.

The guns are all used here-and there is nothing necessarily wrong with used. These things ain't comic books, though... You can't base value on whether there are any fingerprints on the cover.

Last edited:
I know I have bought some as "investments". I will never shoot them. I know I have plenty of guns already, but continue to buy more like a lot of other people on here. It seems like I have 3-4 that I shoot all the time. The rest of them, they are just waiting patiently in line.

I have had a few guns I haven't fired. Not by lack of want to, but lack of time or I found something else before I got the chance. Others I can't wait to shoot and it will be done as soon as I have a spare second to do it.

Back
Top Bottom