• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tomorrow

Just got back. Saw nothing but squirrels.
Not one of my best hunts... Too warm and humid. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't nearly gotten to my stand and realized I forgot my phone. Fortunately it's not that far up the hill from my cabin. However, by the time I got back I was working up a sweat even though my jacket was strapped to my pack. Then I couldn't find my stand which I had moved to a new spot. Broke out the phone/mapping software and that made it worse as I stupidly followed it around in circles until I realize it hadn't gotten a good lock on my location yet... By then I was soaked and mopping my head and neck with a handkerchief. Fell down. Finally found my stand and realized I had dropped my sweat drenched handkerchief somewhere when I fell. Climbed my stand up the tree and rained sweat down to the base of my stand. Not even 6:40 yet but thinking hard about just going back to get another shower and back in bed. :doh:
Oh well, this afternoon and tomorrow can only be better, and even a hunt that doesn't go as planned forever beats a day at work.

Just got back. Saw nothing but squirrels.
Not one of my best hunts... Too warm and humid. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't nearly gotten to my stand and realized I forgot my phone. Fortunately it's not that far up the hill from my cabin. However, by the time I got back I was working up a sweat even though my jacket was strapped to my pack. Then I couldn't find my stand which I had moved to a new spot. Broke out the phone/mapping software and that made it worse as I stupidly followed it around in circles until I realize it hadn't gotten a good lock on my location yet... By then I was soaked and mopping my head and neck with a handkerchief. Fell down. Finally found my stand and realized I had dropped my sweat drenched handkerchief somewhere when I fell. Climbed my stand up the tree and rained sweat down to the base of my stand. Not even 6:40 yet but thinking hard about just going back to get another shower and back in bed. :doh:
Oh well, this afternoon and tomorrow can only be better, and even a hunt that doesn't go as planned forever beats a day at work.

Dang man you had a rough morning.
I had a 200lb bear walk 20' in front of me this morning while I was walking up a mountainside in suches.
Same thing happened to me a few days ago at McGraw Ford.

Didn't see any deer today and got sweated walking to my spot.
Once the sun came up and the temperature differential hit...the evaporation dropped the temp 10 deg and I caught a decent chill for an hour until it warmed up.
I'm going back out tonight but I'm recovering from a low sugar attack by eating a big ol fat sammich hoping to recover quickly for an evening hunt in suches.

I just listened to 2 yahoos setting up a stand about 150 yards down from me. They were loud. They gone now so hopefully the woods comes back to life.

Dang man you had a rough morning.
I had a 200lb bear walk 20' in front of me this morning while I was walking up a mountainside in suches.
Same thing happened to me a few days ago at McGraw Ford.

Didn't see any deer today and got sweated walking to my spot.
Once the sun came up and the temperature differential hit...the evaporation dropped the temp 10 deg and I caught a decent chill for an hour until it warmed up.
I'm going back out tonight but I'm recovering from a low sugar attack by eating a big ol fat sammich hoping to recover quickly for an evening hunt in suches.
Seems you have been covee d up with deer and or bear this year. Glad you and others are having success. It's been an odd year so far for me. I've not seen a single deer, turkey, or bear. I usually have tons of turkey, have always had deer walk by me by now, and usually had some bear go by. I'm afraid that us moving up here full-time has screwed up my hunting. We have a small dog that we walk right adjacent to the cabin and that would explain why I'm not having deer walk by the windows anymore, but even my old standby hotspots have been dry. Even tried some new spots are the far bottom me of our 30 acres. Nothing. I've moved cameras all over the property and only have a few pics of small does but they are few and far between. Seeing almost no sign at all. It's like they all packed up and moved and don't even cross through anymore.
Nothing this evening either BTW.

Saw a big 8 pointer and his harem this evening. He had 2-3 girlfriends. I could not get a bead on him. Had some does in my sights but just too far with my hawken. We'll see how tomorrow am goes.

Back
Top Bottom