• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tough decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
308 Winchester, it'll take almost anything down in North America. And you can shoot long range as well. Ammo is generally easy to find. You can use 125gr to 200gr bullets. It's a short action. Yes you can get subsonic ammo. You can also get accelerator ammo, that's a .22 cal bullet at around 3800FPS

I think that if you want to shoot suppressed, get a dead air mask and your favorite 22lr host. Its quiet and cheap to shoot.

For anything further, or bigger than you’d want to piss off with a 22lr, get a big boy rifle in the caliber you’d like to shoot. Somebody was selling a 308 bolt action with scope for $500 recently. it kinda depends on what you wanted to hunt at what kind of distance to make that choice.

Come to the dark side...
PXL_20210921_125041406.jpg

“Do it all” rifle? There’s no such thing, especially not in the calibers you mentioned. Your parameters are so non-specific that I don’t think we can make a strong recommendation here. Is this for hunting? Home/property defense? SHTF? Plinking? Small or large critters?

If you don’t particularly like AR’s, then it’s probably not worth getting into 300BLK. I’m a big fan of the cartridge but it only makes sense for short guns with a suppressor, and it’s expensive. An AK in whatever caliber would probably be more economical and “something different”, and from what I’ve seen the Dead Air AK suppressor is a solid choice, if you wanted to add that to it down the road.

If you’re really clear on what *exactly* you want the rifle to do, what you want it to naturally be “good at” - that, and a little bit of personal preference will make your choice very clear. It’s a little too open-ended at this point, in my opinion.

*Edited to add: If there ever was a “do it all” rifle caliber it would probably be .223 / 5.56, honestly. It’s like the 9mm of the rifle world. Not sure if you’re already set there and want something a little beefier, but there are plenty of interesting choices for 5.56 other than just regular ARs. Just a thought.

Hello everybody,

Well, I know I'm about to kick a hornet's nest here, but I want your opinions because I can't make up my own damn mind...

Looking to buy a rifle soon, a good do it all rifle in a good do it all caliber... so naturally I've gravitated to two options... 7.62x39 or 300 AAC BLK. I'll pick the rifle after I pick the caliber so that discussion will come later. I've owned and shot rifles in 7.62x39 before so I have some experience with it... never even shot a single round of 300. some bullet points to keep in mind are...
  • I would like the option of shooting suppressed, which I know favors the 300 heavily
  • I don't reload and don't plan on getting into it any time soon
  • price per round is not a factor. Not saying I have money to blow, but time is more of a limiting factor of how much I shoot rather than cost
  • I don't much care for AR platforms, so pretend I'm shooting these out of anything else you like
  • would mostly be using medium - medium long range
  • open to suggestions of other calibers... so long as they are similar availability and ballpark price range
Well, with these things in mind... have at it I suppose. Thanks for any feedback!

“Do it all” rifle? There’s no such thing, especially not in the calibers you mentioned. Your parameters are so non-specific that I don’t think we can make a strong recommendation here. Is this for hunting? Home/property defense? SHTF? Plinking? Small or large critters?

If you don’t particularly like AR’s, then it’s probably not worth getting into 300BLK. I’m a big fan of the cartridge but it only makes sense for short guns with a suppressor, and it’s expensive. An AK in whatever caliber would probably be more economical and “something different”, and from what I’ve seen the Dead Air AK suppressor is a solid choice, if you wanted to add that to it down the road.

If you’re really clear on what *exactly* you want the rifle to do, what you want it to naturally be “good at” - that, and a little bit of personal preference will make your choice very clear. It’s a little too open-ended at this point, in my opinion.

*Edited to add: If there ever was a “do it all” rifle caliber it would probably be .223 / 5.56, honestly. It’s like the 9mm of the rifle world. Not sure if you’re already set there and want something a little beefier, but there are plenty of interesting choices for 5.56 other than just regular ARs. Just a thought.
yeah, no ARs takes a lot of options out of the picture. a shorty 300bo AR or a CMMG mutant in 7.62x39mm are 2 super viable options. you are kinda left with bolt actions and AK's...nothing wrong with either. bolt action 300bo @10" prolly super quiet with a big can like a full nelson/thunder chicken, nomad L/T...same for a 527 in 300bo or 762x39...

You could also do the CZ600 alpha or trail in 7.62x39. If you want to be cool and use what the military is leaning towards and patient to find one for sale you could do the Sig MCX-Spear in either 300 blk or 7.62x39. I pulled the trigger on a CZ 600 alpha in .308 and it felt amazing. It has an excellent trigger.
Did you send it back for recall?

To try and pick one rifle to “do it all” and disregard a perfectly viable, popular, easy to maintain platform because you don’t personally like it is putting the criteria in the wrong order.

One of the beauties of the AR platform is the ability to swap calibers/barrel lengths in literally seconds; push two captive pins, remove old upper, drop on new upper, push two captive pins.

Go from a door-kicking, suppressed 8” .300Blk to a 1,000yd scoped 6.5 Grendel in seconds. Since optics remain on the upper, they maintain zero when that upper is swapped on and off, or swapped to another lower.

Throw aside personal prejudice and choose the best tool for the task. I’ll admit that Glock is not my favorite handgun, but it’s the one that I use the most, and recommend most often. My personal prejudices and complaints aside, it is a ruggedly simple design, easy to repair and modify/upgrade, is highly supported, enviably reliable, accurate, and able to be maintained indefinitely with a minimum of special tools or skills. The AR can also be described with this same criteria.

Out to 200 yards, a 5.56 AR15 all day long. There is no advantage in picking either of the 30 cal rounds you listed when you figure what it will do different vs ammo price and availability. Neither of the 30 cal rounds listed are effective in a subsonic suppressed platform at range. The closest thing out right now to a do all is an AR.

If you are dead set against an AR, a mini-14 or a 5.56 AK, just keep in mind this do all rifle needsa few accessories to be capable of doing all and mounting these can prove to be difficult, depending on the platform.

If you're not reloading, what do you want for bullets? 7.62 will have limited options for hollowpoints, etc...300 will have better options. Also almost all 7.62 is imported I believe? 300 is almost, if not all, domestic production which means it should be consistently readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom