• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Toyota 86... anybody driven one?

Type 86 is the Japanese designation and I guess they just decided to roll with it when Scion got squelched.
I checked out several of these last summer, looking with my boy. I do not remember why but i favored the Subaru badge over the Toyota. I recall that you want to avoid the early ones, specific problems. Also it was a challenge to find a stick in good condition. Really wanted one of these but ended up with a Honda.

I had an 82 Celica GT back in the day so I have a soft spot for Toyo. I would consider an 86 variant at the right price and not modded out. I would rather have an S2000 though.

I don’t think the Supra costs a fortune, while it’s out of my price range, $50k is on par with similar performing vehicles. Also if you adjust for inflation the mkiv Supra cost more in 98.
When introduced in the early 80s Supras and 280Zxs had basically the same base MSRP. They were rightfully competing for the same market. Current base on a 370 is $29.9k. Toyota is obviously going after a different market. $50k puts it out of the "weekend driver" range for a much bigger chunk of the market than $30k obviously. Does for me anyway. But, since Toyota's marketing department is bigger than mine... I'm sure they've done their research. :)

basically a FRS or BRZ .

solid platforms to build off of
Yeah when Toyota killed the Scion brand they wanted to keep this model going and just renamed it. But the only thing Toyota about it are the emblems. I drove a bunch of these last year when I worked at WWL at the port. Well let me say I drove Subaru BRZ models which are identical. If you are overweight or over about 5' tall you don't want one. They are absolutely miserable to get in and out of. Seriously when I was on the van that drove Subarus everyone would try to avoid moving these cars. They would walk right by them like they weren't there to get to a Cross Trek or WRX. Speaking of which I still think it's wrong to try to turn a 4 door sedan into a "Sports Car" but Subaru has had lots of success with the WRX . And they're tons of fun to drive.
Anyway the BRZ/FRS/86 is a fun enough car once you're down into it. It's just that you have to kinda fall down in it and then crawl up out of it. One of the guys I used to work with had bad knees and another was a Vietnam vet with a bad back. So I always took one for the team when we had to move these cars. That could be a factor for lots of folks.

205 hp, kinda lame with 3600 lb car. I believe i could take it in my pickup. :car:

you added about 1000lbs to its weight lol but even then its really not a quick car, fun in the twesties but not much off the line without work.

I was seriously considering a FR-S until I saw premium fuel only and 205hp.

I’m not opposed to premium fuel only but not for 205hp.

At 15.1, it puts it on par with a Miata, which I'm sure is the market.

Some interesting comparison's here. https://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/02/best-car-power-to-weight-ratios-feature/
Mustang, Camaro and Hellcat for the fun per dollar it appears.

When introduced in the early 80s Supras and 280Zxs had basically the same base MSRP. They were rightfully competing for the same market. Current base on a 370 is $29.9k. Toyota is obviously going after a different market. $50k puts it out of the "weekend driver" range for a much bigger chunk of the market than $30k obviously. Does for me anyway. But, since Toyota's marketing department is bigger than mine... I'm sure they've done their research. :)
The problem you will find IF you go looking for used Z models or especially Supras is that an alarming amount of them have rebuild titles. Yes previously owned and driven by heavy footed idiots.

The problem you will find IF you go looking for used Z models or especially Supras is that an alarming amount of them have rebuild titles. Yes previously owned and driven by heavy footed idiots.
Believe me, I know. Been casually looking for an '83 Supra for a while. The late 80s are worse though. All trashed out thanks to "Need for Speed" wannabes.

Back
Top Bottom