Toyota RAV4 or Subaru Forester?

• RAV4

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Forester

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Taco truck

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Interesting. 12 gal is pretty small. I put on about 1k per month, which I think is pretty average. Do you see anything come up repeatedly as a repair issue?

No repairs stand out to me. They seem to be reliable and we have the 4wd version. I think they ride rough and don't get the best mileage with the v6. But they are quick and have been trouble free. We had been using the Chevy Equinox but Toyota had a better rebate when we went to replace them. The Chevy held up well and rode better with more internal room. Our service techs drive these vehicles constantly.

The Subaru styling doesn't bother me; I kind of like the utilitarian look, and the added performance. At the same time, I'm not sure I want to trade performance for reliability, if that's an issue between the two.

There isn't. I mean, nothing is perfect and its going to depend on how the vehicle was treated & maintained. But Subarus have excellent reliability, pretty much the same as Toyota and Honda.

Its going to come down to which you prefer. The RAV will look "funner" but its Toyota's low end SUV, so fit and finish isn't as high, where as Subaru will have better quality and ride. It will also retain its value higher than the Toyota. Were I you, it wouldn't even be a question, but of course I'd be looking at a WRX or Baja. :D

Lexus seems to always be up there (though I haven't kept track of it lately) but I'm not wild about premium gas and $$$ part prices when something does give out.
Resale value is excellent on a Lexus. I just sold my 2001 Lexus IS300 two weeks ago for $5,700. Bought it 2 years ago with 131,000 miles, put 40,000 miles on it and using 87 octane through it with no problems.. Just bought an 09 RX350 pretty cheap, and its loaded out with leather, sunroof, etc. The ride on that thing is butter smooth and so far, no problems using 87 octane.....Shop around, there's some deals out there from rich guys who just want to get rid of their RX because they just bought a new one. :)

If you are looking at the RAV4's, I think there was a major change to them in 04. I seem to remember that is why I waited a year for the better vehicle and safety features. As far as value goes, our RAV4 when totaled in 2010 or 11 with 160K, insurance gave us $12850 for it. Never had a Subaru so can't comment on them. Wife really liked her Toyota before the hit.

My sister drives a Forester (not a Lesbian), she really likes it and it has been really reliable for her. The only downside to the Forester is you have to remember to check the oil in the boxer engine regularly. I really like driving her Forester (not gay), but it takes some getting used to because it has a super-low first gear.

The 04-07 RAV4s with the 2AZ-FE 4cyl have a chronic excessive oil burning issue. It's enough that Toyota is now going back and rebuilding the engines in the ones that they deem "bad enough." That aside, they are good vehicles. We had a 2007 and traded it in at 99k miles for a 2012 4WD 4cyl Limited. They're very sporty and in the snow the 4WD is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom