• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tracking Firearms

Bailen

Default rank <300 posts
Broke College Student
42   0
Reaction score
So whenever I get a new gun I always wonder what it’s seen and stories it has to tell. Whether this be police use, war use, hunting, etc. Anyone know of any good way to trace a serial number back to anything? If only a gun could talk sort of thing.

Tracing is hard, since you need to start at the manufacturer, trace it through all the distributors it passed through, and finally to the local FFL.

The ATF has authority to ask for this information, but regular people certainly don't. Actually, I'm not sure even state or local cops would have the ability to look at this data.

Tracing is hard, since you need to start at the manufacturer, trace it through all the distributors it passed through, and finally to the local FFL.

The ATF has authority to ask for this information, but regular people certainly don't. Actually, I'm not sure even state or local cops would have the ability to look at this data.
When I worked at a gunshop, traces were only phoned in by the BATFE. I remember sighing everytime I'd see that West Virginia number come up on the gunshop's caller ID.

The only people that can really get that info is BATFE and I think it's only for official business.

Back
Top Bottom