• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Well worn or beat up firearms pic thread

My well taken care of Glock.

upload_2018-4-18_18-3-30.png

Just wondered, while hunting in cold weather if you kept your rifle in the cold to keep the scope from fogging up? I've never had a problem, but I doubt I've hunted in those temps. I think 13 degrees is about the coldest for me. Working is another story. Also, do you use special lube for cold temps?

I wish I had a picture of this (one time beautiful German Drilling) that I saw this very,very elderly gentleman hunting with.Hopefully my writing skills are good enough to paint you a picture.How I ran across this elderly "angel" is a story in and of its self.It was Jan 1,1997 the last day of deer season here in Ga. and it freshly snowed that morning,so I wanted to go hunt in the fresh snow(my early 20's,andnever had) with my, new to me stainless Rossi 45 colt.Fresh snow is easy to drive on the Forest Service roads on the Blue Ridge area outside the WMA,near Dahlonega Ga.Anyhow,mid morning,after the hunt,temps had warmed and the melting snow turned those Forest Service roads sliiiiick!!!!!Coming in was super easy with my boat,a 76 Caprice Classic.
But leaving,I maybe made it 10 ft.Mind you I was roughly 12 miles deep into this wilderness area.
Not 30 seconds of being stuck,this very elderly gentleman,with dog,shows up in a beat up little green Suzuki Samari.
Mr. Kermit Bye.He had to be 90 plus.He laughed like a typical old person with no teeth,Heeeeee!!!!!!Heeeeee!!!!
He offers me to ride with him and Duke,(his Dingo looking Australian Sheppard) to go get some chains,and he would pull me out of my troubles.
Well Duke had evidently never road in the back seat,as we rode the entire bumpy,slick 12 miles outa there with 6 miles on my lap,and the other 6 on my cods!¡!!!
Well being a gun guy,I noticed this German Drilling,hap hazardly thrown in the floor board,like you would a tire iron.It at one time had an extremly beautiful black walnut stock nicely figured and the best engraving scenes Ive seen since,with Roe buck on one side of the lock plate and Red stag on the other,with ornate oak clusters throughout any bare metal.Including the butt plate and trigger guards.All its screws on this firearm exhibited the same attention to detail.
What I was looking at was an 8000-16000 dallor drilling laying partially in the floor board and a wet dog and me laying on the other half.
To me it was blasphemy to see this 9.3X62...16 guage....22lr ...expensive piece of art work being treated so poorly.
It was obvious the neglet it had recieved through years of hard use,by the amount of Ga.red clay dust blanketing all the etchings and fine checkering that some long forgotten smith had spent countless hrs. bringing to life.Along with the deep gouges and scratches the Black walnut had absorbed over the years.
But with all that said,I could also tell it was mechanically sound,and this ole man could use it well,evidenced by the slight sheen of oil glistening from its blueing,and a little over spill from its hinges.Well that and the well oiled rag tied to its sling,probably older than I was.He was evidently a man that didnt care about pretty things,just if they worked or not.All these years later,I try to remind myself of that,when one of my favorites gets a scratch or ding.Its just character,carry on.
Well Kermit,Duke and I safely made it out of the woods that day.A day of a man and a well used gun Ill never forget.

Back
Top Bottom