• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Training Before Obtaining Carry Permit?

I Fith it! lol But seriously, that is the ONLY way I would support firearms any kind of "mandatory training". Make it a mandatory part of school curriculum (taught by NRA instructors or similar) and it's a win-win. They are already there to learn a variety of necessary, basic life skills and I firmly believe this is just another one. Then the mystery and myth of guns goes far away. After school you can choose to carry or not but you'll darn sure have a basic understanding of guns and shooting.

Last edited:
SO I am skipping the 7 pages of Jargon. I would say if you buy a rifle or pistol YOU OWE it to yourself and loved ones to get some training. The govt should make you do anything..

The requiring of a permit to carry is, in itself, an infringement as it is and should be struck down. For anyone to suggest ADDING another layer of infringement is baffling and I can only attribute their support of this to fear. Fear that their fellow countrymen can not be trusted. I can have no respect for this and find it despicable.

Last edited:
NO. Self defense is a fundamental human right, the right to use the best weapon available to you. I lived in a state that required training class before issuing license. Total cost to get a carry permit was $200. No statistical evidence to show training makes a difference regarding use of deadly force. Police shoot more unarmed people than licensed carriers.

Government should not mandate what should be personal responsibility. The more we allow government to do so, the more reliant upon government we become. Instead we should foster an environment, as a responsible gun owning community, that encourages, rewards, and enables good, responsible behavior like proper training. I think we do a pretty good job but there is always room for improvement.

I second (or third?) the need for firearms training in public school curriculums.
I agree completely with that. There should be a course taught in Colleges or maybe even High Schools. I can't believe schools dont have shop class anymore. I can't believe how many males in their 20s do not know how to operate a drill or other basic tool. How about young people learn something useful like firearms or shop?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom