• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Training Before Obtaining Carry Permit?

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/stat...slator-seeks-training-requirement-to-o/npYmL/

I would love to hear everyone thoughts on this proposed idea? I am as pro-gun as anyone here but if someone is carrying I want them to know how to handle and properly use a weapon. Just my two cents. I feel that people who already have a permit should be grandfathered in and LE/military should be exempt. Please discuss I would love to know how people feel about this. Im not necessarily in favor of this, I just want to know everyone's thoughts and opinions here. Also think about this...would you be willing to complete this class if it meant reciprocity in all 50 states?

People who already have a permit should be grandfathered? Why? Don't you want them to know how to handle and properly use a weapon?

I'll take a class and even a test IF the Govt provides the range and the teacher and doesn't charge me for any of it including the permit and allows National Constitutional Carry.

I'm not in favor of it.

I'm surprised no one's drawn a parallel with drivers licenses though. If you want to take a a couple of tons of vehicles out in public, (which is incontrovertibly a lethal weapon), you can't without demonstrating to the government you're skilled enough to do so without being a danger to others.

As to 'not infringed', it is for felons, and I don't notice any clause that states, "except for them", but how many people would support removing that restriction ?

I support removing that restriction. In my opinion if a man is walking the street then he should be allowed to exercise the right of keeping and bearing. IF you think he should not be allowed to keep and bear then you best lock him up.

People who already have a permit should be grandfathered? Why? Don't you want them to know how to handle and properly use a weapon?

I'll take a class and even a test IF the Govt provides the range and the teacher and doesn't charge me for any of it including the permit and allows National Constitutional Carry.

I wouldn't. And I don't care two crackers about a "National Constitutional Carry". That implies national standards, which implies federal oversight, and that's never a good thing. It would turn into a: well, you can carry anywhere, but a max capacity of w, caliber of less than or equal to x, and number of y features cannot equal z. States would eventually be bullied into accepting one uniform standard on a state level, and if you don't believe me, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act

Let it remain a States Rights issue and allow the free market to work itself out. If you love gun control, move to a gun control state and visit other states that enact similar reforms. Don't like gun control? Live in a gun friendly state and only visit other gun friendly states. Either way, keep the federal government out of it.

Besides, the Second Amendment does not state that only "those trained in the use of arms" shall have the right to bear them just as the Fifteenth Amendment does not state that only "those who have a college education" have the right to vote. You take the good with the bad because that's the price of relative freedom compared to most other places around the globe. I am absolutely fine with criminals, scumbags, terrorists, and even Democrats exercising their Second Amendment Rights. I am absolutely confident that if any said groups (or anyone else) attempt to use their Rights to do me harm, I'll succeed in using my Rights to do them harm first. Everything else is left to God and probability. I can live with that better than I can restricting the rights of my fellow citizen because "the evil terrorists/blacks/Muslims/illegal immigrants/radical gays/insert group" scare me.

I would like to see a class on the constitution before someone is allowed to vote.

Exactly,

I would require mandated training on our constitution and bill of rights before one could vote. It would consist of just how the bill of rights was formed, the argument for, the argument against them, who the bill of rights protect and from whom. It would also clarify just what a “right” is and what “not infringed” means.

Once this is accomplished the argument for or against “ANY” government mandated for “ANY RIGHT” becomes a moot issue.

Sure. Sounds great. I could always use more government intrusion in my life from another ABC agency that will charge a fee for training and let me know if I'll be able to use my right and then have me pay for a license if I'm lucky enough to get one. Everything the government decides to get into and manage is always perfect. I always trust the government to do the right thing by us. Can't wait for this.

I wouldn't. And I don't care two crackers about a "National Constitutional Carry". That implies national standards, which implies federal oversight, and that's never a good thing. It would turn into a: well, you can carry anywhere, but a max capacity of w, caliber of less than or equal to x, and number of y features cannot equal z. States would eventually be bullied into accepting one uniform standard on a state level, and if you don't believe me, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act

Let it remain a States Rights issue and allow the free market to work itself out. If you love gun control, move to a gun control state and visit other states that enact similar reforms. Don't like gun control? Live in a gun friendly state and only visit other gun friendly states. Either way, keep the federal government out of it.

Besides, the Second Amendment does not state that only "those trained in the use of arms" shall have the right to bear them just as the Fifteenth Amendment does not state that only "those who have a college education" have the right to vote. You take the good with the bad because that's the price of relative freedom compared to most other places around the globe. I am absolutely fine with criminals, scumbags, terrorists, and even Democrats exercising their Second Amendment Rights. I am absolutely confident that if any said groups (or anyone else) attempt to use their Rights to do me harm, I'll succeed in using my Rights to do them harm first. Everything else is left to God and probability. I can live with that better than I can restricting the rights of my fellow citizen because "the evil terrorists/blacks/Muslims/illegal immigrants/radical gays/insert group" scare me.
That's the great joke of gun control. It never was a states rights issue.

Look, the 10th amendment says

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

But the right to keep and bear arms is clearly delegated to the federal government by inclusion into the Bill of Rights.

And in the same vein, the federal governments hands are tied by the second amendment. If we actually followed the constitution in this issue then we would have Constitutional Carry across the nation.

One again, however I feel I have to voice my disgust at the people here who think that adding a requirement for training before exercising the God given right to self defense. How shallow and pathetic your vision of freedom must be. How weak your grasp of what America stands(or rather STOOD) for and how frightened you must be of the thought that others might be allowed to be armed as you feel you have the right to be. I can only attribute it to a combination of ignorance and cowardice.

America was created to provide people with the freedom to determine how to live THIER OWN lives, not each others. Try minding your own ****ing business and not trying to make MY business yours.

I am against it. There are people who could not afford the classes. They aren`t free in the states that require them. Besides,it ain`t a cure-all. Some people go to school 12 years and still can`t read. Or spell. This forum is a good example.

Haha I liturilly laffed out loud...

Back
Top Bottom