Transmission flush vs drain & fill, opinions wanted

No experience with late model Fords but my 2 cents worth is if the vehicle has the flush service done regularly from new it’s good. If the vehicle has NOT been flushed regularly since new I would not recommend it. Drain and replace filter and fluid with manufacturers recommended fluid. I have had three vehicles (2 Subaru’s, 1 Honda) with approximately 60K miles that had not had the flush type service before require transmissions be replaced shortly after flushing. Good luck on the Ford

I’ll assume everyone is just like me. How often and how far did you tow your race cars?
LOL, every weekend. With the Explorer. LOL! Nope.

Anyway, I doubt the OP is towing a race car with a 2.0 liter Escape.

Is this what you're towing?
9f5483b7-b2b7-419d-9505-1189e422f897_1.62b6733a32aadb8183c85cc42aa1400e.jpeg

I appreciate the replies.

The main reason that a flush was even in contention is that this transmission has no pan to drop and no filter that can be serviced. I've seen it said that because of this design, even a "flush" amounts to essentially an automated drain & fill or fluid exchange since there really isn't the opportunity for a traditional high-pressure flush. (but that could be ridiculously incorrect)

And definitely no towing expected. Just want it to last forever with no problems. Reasonable, right?

Depending on how dirty the fluid is, will dictate how I deal with it..If it has been properly maintained I just drain, change the filter and refill..If it is high mileage and very dirty I don't flush..I will drain about half refill and run for several hundred miles..Then repeat process, the Torque convertor holds a good amount that regular changing will not empty and also the cooler. I have heard some of the new flush machines will also flush the TC but no first hand knowledge..I do use synthetic all the time for trans and motor..But I don't know about ford..

The main reason that a flush was even in contention is that this transmission has no pan to drop and no filter that can be serviced.
You can always add an external transmission filter if you're concerned and want it to last forever. I ran into this issue with my 2000 Honda Odyssey that didn't have a servicable filter. After the Honda dealer replaced the transmission under warranty, part of the job was to install a servicable external filter.

No experience with late model Fords but my 2 cents worth is if the vehicle has the flush service done regularly from new it’s good. If the vehicle has NOT been flushed regularly since new I would not recommend it. Drain and replace filter and fluid with manufacturers recommended fluid. I have had three vehicles (2 Subaru’s, 1 Honda) with approximately 60K miles that had not had the flush type service before require transmissions be replaced shortly after flushing. Good luck on the Ford
I have a tundra with 120000+ miles. I have considered changing the filter but don't know if I would do more harm than good.

The main reason that a flush was even in contention is that this transmission has no pan to drop and no filter that can be serviced. I've seen it said that because of this design, even a "flush" amounts to essentially an automated drain & fill or fluid exchange since there really isn't the opportunity for a traditional high-pressure flush. (but that could be ridiculously incorrect)

And definitely no towing expected. Just want it to last forever with no problems. Reasonable, right?

Well a flush on any car isnt what I consider high pressure 20-30 psi max and the machine is only pumping in what the the machine is taking out.

But I am a drain and fill guy keep up with it every 20-30k and you won't have to worry about any fluid related damage.

Back
Top Bottom