• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tree saddle

I know guys that love them but I can't see how hanging is more comfortable than a good climber that you can stand up in and stretch. Of course I am older now so comfort is of great importance for long sits.

I have hung from a rope for quite some hours in various types of rescue /training so this is not direct apples to apples. The saddles used are different and more specific for the task but a lot of the rest of the equipment comes from the sport and rescue world, mainly from the climbing sports. A whole lot of the videos I’ve seen have questionable at best and downright dangerous content at worst. All that said, you can be very comfortable for a long sit in even a rescue harness but you must move regularly and if you decide to take it up, in my opinion, you must fully engage and learn the rope theory and equipment fully and most importantly how to save yourself if a piece fails. It is not as simple as it looks being on rope. Electric lineman practice self and team rescue all the time because they know time is critical and they do it faster than anyone, imagine being in your favorite spot stuck in tree, injured and waiting for a rescue team to come get you down. Few places have the resources for full rescue teams so if you’re remote it’s going to be a while. All that said, it’s not cheaper either. For good setup it will cost quite a bit more that a really good stand and the soft goods have a limited life span and must be inspected after every use. Should do that with all climbing equipment though, stands included.The biggest advantage I saw was hunting areas that a climber or hang on would be no option. Look up some videos on sport climbing too, especially SRT (single rope technique), rappelling and ascending (critical in self rescue). Look at arborist videos as well, they spend all day on rope too, not just the felling, but pruning too, they offer tips on how to move in trees others don’t and what to look for. Also, look at the device videos produced by the companies. Many are intended as introductory many times, not instructional because of how serious they take liability but it’s out there. Rescue videos as well have tons of rope and knot info. Always remember that the group has specific interests that guide their selection and rescue guys over build because something has already gone wrong when they get there, climbers use the lightest equipment they can get away with. Arborist are probably the best mix. Also consider the clothes you hunt in. Saddle hunting in my opinion is better in milder temps, the flexibility to change layers is reduced at best. And this will sound silly but if you have long flowing hair, better tie it up when coming down, hair goes through lowering/rappel devices very quickly and easily. I have a rescue background and I decided I would pass because the investment in gear and my hunting hours in the field didn’t add up. Otherwise I would do it. If I had spots where trees just were not conducive to stands but were strong enough for climbing I would as well. This isn’t a negative post about it, it’s just some of the thoughts I had and hope they help. Let me know what you decide, some very interesting stuff.

I'll be buying the therd mantis before next season probably. Combine the saddle with a footrest or ring of steps. Also look into getting a set of lightweight sticks. The lone wolf, hawk, and xop sticks seem to be the best ones on the market. Get an aider for each stick and you can get an extra 8 to 12 inches if not more out of each stick.

I dove right in on this a few weeks ago…. Got a complete Tethrd setup with the Phantom saddle, predator xl platform, 5 Beast mini sticks. Definitely a learning curve on this. I’m going slow, trying to figure the best style for me. I honestly believe I may not ever hunt from a climber again, unless I need to get 40ft up to hunt a cutover. I’m mainly bow hunting now. It’ll definitely let me have a better set up, where I can hunt out of any tree in the woods. There’s always that tree that’s in the perfect location that you can’t get into with a climber. The saddle totally lets you set up perfect, regardless of the tree situation.

As far as weight goes, 5 Beast sticks are 10lbs, platform 4lbs. I’ll wear the saddle while walking in. Not much weight at all there. Sticks strap to my backpack and the platform fits inside.

Watch the classifieds on archery talk and you’ll find some deals on saddle gear.

800866f04b370dc1323c97b491d173ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddd4ad6119e95cf208142c0cc53f5d13.jpg

Back
Top Bottom