• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trouble with Dead Air/ KGM Customer Service

wpalm00

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
Hey ODT, is anyone else having trouble getting cans back from Dead Air/ KGM? I shipped my Sandman-L to them on Dec. 15th. I've got some emails between me and customer service where they say it's waiting to be repaired again because it didn't meet spec. the first time. This has really left a bad taste in my mouth about Dead Air who has previously been great to deal with. Is KGM the real problem?

Is anyone else having issues?

I had a Sandman-S end cap that blew off, repaired last year. It was a faulty weld according to them. Mailed to them, repaired, and back in my possession in 13 days. I was very impressed with the turn around time and their communication with me.

Hopefully they get yours fixed soon! Good Luck!!

That’s good to hear.
I‘ve only ever been treated good by Dead Air and the one time before when I had an issue, my can was back to me within a week.
This situation has been the complete opposite.

I really really like my Dead air mask, but I don't think I'll ever own any of their other cans for this issue. Customer service for other cans seems to suck donkey balls.

I think it may come down to a combination of the model of can and the nature of the problem.

I've had a couple of enquiries of Dead Air that were handled fine.

I haven't had to do any returns, but of the 4 Dead Air cans I own, three are marked "KGMADE". I'm sure that if I had to return them for repairs, they'd end up at KG ay Peachtree Corners GA, and not Dead Air in Heber City, UT. The question really is, behind the scenes, where's the process breaking down? Is it isolated to one or the other (or both) locations?

Some QA issues are soluble with some effort (or even basic diligence) by a manufacturer. When QA goes bad, the reputational damage can haunt a company for years, even if the issue is resolved, so for me I'll be trying to find out how bad QA is right now, before I start thinking about what my next can will be for the 300BLK SBR that I plan to pin to the muzzle.

I think it may come down to a combination of the model of can and the nature of the problem.

I've had a couple of enquiries of Dead Air that were handled fine.

I haven't had to do any returns, but of the 4 Dead Air cans I own, three are marked "KGMADE". I'm sure that if I had to return them for repairs, they'd end up at KG ay Peachtree Corners GA, and not Dead Air in Heber City, UT. The question really is, behind the scenes, where's the process breaking down? Is it isolated to one or the other (or both) locations?

Some QA issues are soluble with some effort (or even basic diligence) by a manufacturer. When QA goes bad, the reputational damage can haunt a company for years, even if the issue is resolved, so for me I'll be trying to find out how bad QA is right now, before I start thinking about what my next can will be for the 300BLK SBR that I plan to pin to the muzzle
BHPSteel BHPSteel Question about the 300blk, are you going to do an AR platform or bolt gun? Can a 300blk be built on an AR platform to reliably function subs?

I already have an AR-pattern 300BLK which for a number of reasons has a barrel longer than I really like. It's a great shooter, and I intend to carry on with it in this configuration, shooting subs and supers. As you can see, it's got a Dead Air Keymo muzzle brake on it.

DLD01_3.jpg

That's an old photo, in a configuration that I've since changed.

I also have a 300BLK bolt gun - a Ruger American - again, with a Keymo muzzle brake on it. With my Sandman S it's ridiculousquiet Oh, yeah, and a Ruger Mini-14 in 300BLK that I'd say is a crapload of fun to shoot, but is a bit more finicky on the ammo it likes.

Can an AR platform gun be set up for subs? Absolutely, but you really need an adjustable gas block and a bit of patience to gas it right. That gun above handles commercial 220gr sub ammo fine. I've been reloading for it and have tried some coated 265gr handloads, but at that point they're getting big and fat - the profile doesn't feed well, but I can't really fault the gun for that.

The new gun - and I keep meaning to have a conversation with cmshoot cmshoot about it - will be a proper AR 300BLK SBR with a stubby can on it, with the gas system PROBABLY set up specifically for subsonics.

Ballistically, with supersonic ammo, it's comparable to shooting 7.62x39, with subsonic, it's comparable to 45ACP.

Edit: yes, I know the sling's on wrong.

BHPSteel BHPSteel Question about the 300blk, are you going to do an AR platform or bolt gun? Can a 300blk be built on an AR platform to reliably function subs?
I have a SBR 300 BO. It's a 9.5" Sig upper. I've had zero issues with it cycling subs. I have a Sig 7.62 QD suppressor and it is quiet. I put one of the JP Silent Capture Springs in it and it made it even quieter.

Of the 8 DA cans that I own, I’ve had to send 2 back. One was a Sandman-S that was repaired and returned with a 1 week turnaround time. The second has been this current Sandman-L.
Dead Airs process is to have KG do the actual work then send it to Utah to be QC checked before it’s sent back to the customer.
In my case, it was sent off in mid-December and “fixed” and sent to Utah. Dead Air QC caught some problems and sent it back to KG where it’s been sitting ever since waiting to be repaired.
I think KG is the problem but that’s just my perspective.

UPDATE: I pushed them a little bit and got Mike Pappas involved. KG was “just finishing up” my can and getting it shipped out to Utah yesterday or today. DA will check it and ship it back to me ASAP. Fingers crossed this will be over soon.

Back
Top Bottom