• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trout lure/bait recommendations?

mepps, panther martins, rooster tails as mentioned before all work well in the hooch. I have even trolled behind my kayak and caught one just paddling along!
Get your fishing license and trout license. Artificial lures only from GA Hwy 20 all the way down to Medlock Bridge park Hwy 141. There are a lot of rules concerning trout so check the GA DNR site. I like powerbait orange when I'm on a trout lake/pond. Dont set the hook like a largemouth bass, you may jerk it out of his mouth. They will mostly hit the spinner hard and run so they hook themselves. Unless you get a fat one. Good luck brother!

Yeah coletrain pretty much nailed it. You seam to hear different rules from different places. Last I heard you could use anything but minnows. But for years all I heard was corn and crikets were illegal. Most the ones around here are to little to eat a minnow anyways.

Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, and Small Rapalas all work well for artificial lures.

Now with that said its more important to look at a few things before you focus on what bait to use. #1 Water Clarity and Condition #2 Water Temprature/Ambient Temprature #3 What species are you trying to attract #4 Will you be wading or in a boat?

Now with that said trout are like any other animal they have comfort zones. rainbows typically feed in the faster water with debris forming pockets while browns and cut throats tend to live in deeper slower pools.

Next you want to find out what level of water the fish are feeding in (Top, Intermediate/Surface Film, or bottom) this will allow you to maximize your abilities with the bait.

Finally, you want to know what to look for as far as "Fish Holding Potential" the hooch is enormous and gets a lot of pressure...so I would advise walking a little farther to look for a good spot.

My two favorite spots to fish on the hooch are #1 Island Ford #2 South of buford dam via float tube (MONSTER FISH IN THIS SECTION).

i fly fish the hooch alot so i can tell you to check what area you fish in before you go, different sections have different regulations.
http://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/Chattahoochee-Trout-Fishing-Map-2011.pdf
you will also want to check if the dams (Buford and Morgan Falls) are releasing when you go, the water rises quickly when they do.
Buford Dam (770) 945-1466 Morgan Falls (404) 329-1455

^^^^ THIS X 2... The Hooch has a "Delayed Harvest" area and time where you cannot keep the trout, it's catch and release ONLY, and then there are areas that prohibit treble hooks.

^^^^ THIS X 2... The Hooch has a "Delayed Harvest" area and time where you cannot keep the trout, it's catch and release ONLY, and then there are areas that prohibit treble hooks.

dude as someone who built water treatment plants please trust me when I say you don't want to keep any of the fish/animals/dirt/ANYTHING from the hooch anywhere south of Helen.

dude as someone who built water treatment plants please trust me when I say you don't want to keep any of the fish/animals/dirt/ANYTHING from the hooch anywhere south of Helen.

Well... yeah, no argument there! But he LIVES on the 'Hooch, so any contamination has already seeped into his pores... sorry about your third arm bro!

Back
Top Bottom