• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trout lure/bait recommendations?

dude as someone who built water treatment plants please trust me when I say you don't want to keep any of the fish/animals/dirt/ANYTHING from the hooch anywhere south of Helen.
Great, I didn't worry about that enough already.... :doh:
I always pretend the few I occasionally keep were released within the last 5 minutes from the hatchery. :whistle:

Great, I didn't worry about that enough already.... :doh:
I always pretend the few I occasionally keep were released within the last 5 minutes from the hatchery. :whistle:

Sorry Man...Government Guidelines are not as stringent as everyone thinks. Not to mention the amount of surface run off that flows into the river

was gonna say the same as JohnRoy & Bass222000. Oh yeah the fella that mentioned injecting air in red wigglers= Success! Just use same gear as mentioned above small cork/bobber at least a foot above air-worm. Watch the water too cause a lot of times when that wiggler hits the surface, bam! fish on.

I've had really good luck using "Trout Magnets" walmart usually has them in stock, its a little jig head with little different color grubs, check em out, ive filled my limit several times with them...they are really light though so i throw them on an ultra light spinning reel with 4lb test...good luck

Thanks for all the advice. I ain't worried about keeping any, I don't eat fish that much anyway.

If you ever decide to they are some of the best fresh water eating fish I've ever had.

I've had really good luck using "Trout Magnets" walmart usually has them in stock, its a little jig head with little different color grubs, check em out, ive filled my limit several times with them...they are really light though so i throw them on an ultra light spinning reel with 4lb test...good luck

Welcome to the trader. Haven't heard of those, I'll check'em out!

easy way i do to get my limit on the hooch is just a small weight a foot and a half above the hook, and just a piece of that trout bait stuff (like a paste, in the jars) and just let it bounce off the bottom in the holes. ya you get hung up alot, but its cheap to break off, its not like its a $10 rapala lol. but sometimes (only if im in a boat lol so i can get my lure back if it gets stuck) i like to use the smaller double jointed rapalas in brown/rainbow trout patterns. Small panther martins work great sometimes also.

up in the mountains i will use a longshank hook, put a piece of corn over the not, and a put a red wiggler on the hook and float through holes.

also, with the flie fishing thing, they make "clear" bobbers you can tie on to give you casting weight, then you can put a fly on the end of a few feet leader off the float. been know to do that if im to lazy to bust out the fly rod and they are rising lol.

and i always keep the gut hook trout that i know arent going to make it, i usually always release everything else. unless im really hungry lol.

I have fished the hooch for trout for 20+ years. In the area of 400 corn nibblets works great, crickets too. Try to fish the swirling eddies on the down stream side of large rocks. BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW, every one fishes for trout there so the bass are big with very little pressure from fishing and easier to catch, if you have a kayak or canoe you will have much better luck. Just paddle up to rocks as far as you can, u will know when ur there because u can't really go further without a lot of effort and drift back down while you fish stoping at the larger rocks. GET A TROUT STAMP OR RISK BIG TROUBLE. Read the regs on what baits/lures are allowed where OR RISK BIG TROUBLE. Some times on corn u will hook into carp up to 3' long so play em with ur drag (4 to 6 lb test) its a blast!

Back
Top Bottom