• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trout lure/bait recommendations?

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
I want to start trout fishing since I live right next to the Chattahoochee. I have not trout fished in 20+ years and have no idea what lures or bait to use or what works for trout. Before anyone says "flies", I do not fly fish and have no intention of ever trying it again. Any other advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a sure fire, no brainer: Go to Pine log Mt. WMA, turn left at the second right, park across the concrete bridge. walk down the stream about 50 yards..drop a cricket, wait about 30 seconds. bam. I've heard that you can inject a worm with air from a hypodermic needle and trout love it..

It depends on the laws regarding what lures/bait you can use. I dont fish the hooch so im not sure. You need to check that first. I use a ultra light setup and if Corn is allowed use that. I will fill up a ziplock bag full of corn put two pieces on your hook and bust their ass all day long!!! Berkley power bait in the jars works great also but its scened so may be illegal to use. Again, check fishing laws for the river.

If none of that is allowed. I will use a small rooster tail looking bait. Remove all the barbed hooks except one. Cast to the deep Eddy's and reel it in slowly.

Most importantly, invest in a good pair of Boots and waders. Use a SMALL hook and noore than 6lb test clear line. I like P-Line. Hope this helps. Good luck and wear em out!!

It depends on the laws regarding what lures/bait you can use. I dont fish the hooch so im not sure. You need to check that first. I use a ultra light setup and if Corn is allowed use that. I will fill up a ziplock bag full of corn put two pieces on your hook and bust their ass all day long!!! Berkley power bait in the jars works great also but its scened so may be illegal to use. Again, check fishing laws for the river.

If none of that is allowed. I will use a small rooster tail looking bait. Remove all the barbed hooks except one. Cast to the deep Eddy's and reel it in slowly.

Most importantly, invest in a good pair of Boots and waders. Use a SMALL hook and noore than 6lb test clear line. I like P-Line. Hope this helps. Good luck and wear em out!!
exactly what he said...and obey the laws

Rooster Tails and/or a Rapala (size F03, the smallest). You'll catch some. Bigger bait, bigger fish (though less strikes). If the water is like chocolate milk, do something else. Make sure you call the water release schedule 770-945-1466 ahead of time and always wear a life jacket!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom