• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tub to walk in shower conversion

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I guess this is as good a forum as any to post this question.

I have a 1985 tract house, basic 3 BR, @ BA, two story, "Cape Cod" I think. "Starter Home"

On the first floor I have your basic crapola fiberglas tub, shower combo unit. The shower walls are pulling off. Tub looks like someone has peed in it for 30 years.

I want to convert to a walk in shower.

Athens GA.

What is a ball park figure for doing this. The few estimates are so high, I'm going to give up on the project if they are close to reality. I get the impression that the million dollar homes in Oconee County have put stars in the contractor's eyes.

Absolutely no access or plumbing issues. Good crawl space access. I've watched probably 2 dozen You Tubes on how to do it six different ways and none of them justify the prices I'm getting.

So how many $$$$???

Yes I’m understanding what you’re trying to describe and I have a similar experience but this is old news. . I had one of those starter homes about eight to ten years ago in Holly Springs. I think we paid 110k. Describing what you were describing back then I’m pretty sure I paid my tile guy around $600 after doing all of his “ labor before he got there” that he told me to do.

But what I did was tear everything out and get it set up for him to lay base and even custom set stuff and basically made big tub and shower type combo. I think that what I got was more custom compared to what you are trying to describe. Then again I’m not going off of any pictures. I’m just trying to imagine it in my head. Your prices are going to vary wildly because we have no idea your tile your layout or anything that has anything to do with it . we don’t even have pictures of existing stuff.

so you’re really not gonna be able to get any type of estimate . I can say this ….you should’ve done it 10 years ago but Joe Biden loves you so he wants your extra monies to go to his Ukraine friends. Yeah you just bought them a hot tub. Enjoy your semi fancy new tub instead of your 20k steam shower you deserve.

If you are wanting a real mud in tile walk in shower you are gonna pay up good money for it.

If you want someone to tear out the old fiberglass unit and replace it with a walk in fiberglass one like Lowes sells you might get by for a few grand.

Construction people in general seem to have far more work than they want. They thin the herd via pricing. Guys who do general remodeling at reasonable prices seem to have ceased to exist. Unfortunately, you probably need to be prepared to write a big check or do this yourself.

I did a complete BR remodel of a guest bathroom, taking the old fiberglass thing out, tiling walls and putting just a shower pan in, I had never done anything like that before. The great thing about doing it yourself is no disruption to the house and you can take your time and to it right. That was 2 years ago, so just last week I started our master bath, which had a separate walk in shower next to a tiled in tub. Room is gutted now, I re-did the plumbing and now I am ready to start the walls. You Tube is your friend...

I agree with above. If you're handyman inclined, do it yourself. You Tube is your friend
That looks like the way I will go. Prices I've been quoted are $10-12K just for a walk in and door. Even if I demo it, no one wants to give a price break.

Like I've said, I've watched all the You Tubes, I know a good bit about construction, and I've priced the materials, and I'm just not seeing it - especially with all the systems available that cut down on the labor.

I can do it myself, just will take forever and a day. I can go without showers, as long as I keep the crapper going.

If I was going to stay here, might bite the bullet and go all out, but I'm trying to fix this POS up to sell, and the market for this house isn't going to pay for a $12K shower stall.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I just had a bathroom plumbing issue repaired and it was upwards of 3K so when I asked the plumber for the cost of tearing out the old tub/shower combo and sliding glass doors he started showing my pictures of fancy cars on his phone. I just don't think I can afford it.

Plus, being 72 I'll probably fall in the shower or getting out soon and break a hip and never have to try to get in the shower again. It'll be the sponge bath life for me.

Plus, being 72 I'll probably fall in the shower or getting out soon and break a hip and never have to try to get in the shower again. It'll be the sponge bath life for me.
That's me. I have to step over the tub to get in and out of the shower, and getting out is especially dicey. I have an upstairs bathroom, the operative word being "upstairs" with a tub for the next folks that want to wash their kids.

My intention is to make the shower stall a "roll in" shower to attract more folks like us.

Back
Top Bottom