• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tub to walk in shower conversion

So I normally stay pretty quite, ( to many smart S ss out there). I just finished mine, if you do it yourself figure around 5k someone does it for you I was quoted 12k.
new sh@tter 300
new base for sink 800
marble counter top 600+ 100 for faucet
tile floor 300
Tiled walls in shower 300+300 for cement and backer board
new shower head and faucet 100
shower pan metal with 4 in lip 300
grab handles 100
shower door (on sale 900) 2300 if you want them to install ( told them what they could do.
odds and ends expect another 500-1000.

Attachments

• 0DEFE4CC-67FC-4E6A-9C7C-89508927FF3D.jpeg
    0DEFE4CC-67FC-4E6A-9C7C-89508927FF3D.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 3A04F259-391A-4CA1-BA90-0A3A55F6137D.jpeg
    3A04F259-391A-4CA1-BA90-0A3A55F6137D.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 36
So I normally stay pretty quite, ( to many smart S ss out there). I just finished mine, if you do it yourself figure around 5k someone does it for you I was quoted 12k.
new sh@tter 300
new base for sink 800
marble counter top 600+ 100 for faucet
tile floor 300
Tiled walls in shower 300+300 for cement and backer board
new shower head and faucet 100
shower pan metal with 4 in lip 300
grab handles 100
shower door (on sale 900) 2300 if you want them to install ( told them what they could do.
odds and ends expect another 500-1000.
Nice job. I won't be replacing the toilet or the sink or vanity but I'm still thinking they'll want 10 or 11K to do the job. Maybe just gonna get a wash tub and put it out in the back yard and let my wife just hose me off. How offensive can that be to cars driving back in the sunny afternoon?

Construction people in general seem to have far more work than they want. They thin the herd via pricing. Guys who do general remodeling at reasonable prices seem to have ceased to exist. Unfortunately, you probably need to be prepared to write a big check or do this yourself.

I own a plumbing company and do indeed 'thin the herd'. There is no money in some jobs, losing money will not work for long. Not a lot of rich contractors in this world.

Wife’s bathroom remodel was $12,000 10 years ago.
Problem now is supply chain issues and getting someone who will actually show up to work.
Folks I’ve talked to lately said 4-6 months to complete, if you’re lucky.

We just finished one of two bathrooms. We bought this house from an elderly couple, hence the walk in “life alert” style tub shower abomination.

We shopped around for a a good contractor for well over a year. We had quotes anywhere from $15k to $20k. The contractor we went with charged us $7k and provided everything but the vanity and fixtures. All said and done we were just shy of $9k.

My recommendation if you’re not going to do it yourself is be patient and shop around. And stay FAR FAAAAR away from this replacement shower in a day outfits. They wanted $20k for just the shower. And their showers are just ****ty inserts installed by professional get in and get it done quick type.

This was for the whole bathroom though. Not just the shower.

Here’s the before and after.
4A22EEF5-58D4-432A-8A25-BA3D7E067062.jpeg
9EB8F139-AE34-443E-8634-50B41930C789.jpeg

We just did one full and one half bath completely. Bought the new vanity cabinets, shower door and toilets ourselves from Lowe's, tile from Floor and Decor and contraced out the work. Contractor did the demos, moved the shower valves and rail, set supports for the handrails, framed and did all other work (sinks and toilets and electrical)

All in for both.... (ball park)

Vanity cabinets $1100
Shower door $1000
Tile work $2400
Contractor $4000

IMG-20230127-WA0012.jpg
20230205_095448.jpg
20230220_052513.jpg

We just did one full and one half bath completely. Bought the new vanity cabinets, shower door and toilets ourselves from Lowe's, tile from Floor and Decor and contraced out the work. Contractor did the demos, moved the shower valves and rail, set supports for the handrails, framed and did all other work (sinks and toilets and electrical)

All in for both.... (ball park)

Vanity cabinets $1100
Shower door $1000
Tile work $2400
Contractor $4000

View attachment 5405632View attachment 5405633View attachment 5405634
Cat approved

We just finished one of two bathrooms. We bought this house from an elderly couple, hence the walk in “life alert” style tub shower abomination.

We shopped around for a a good contractor for well over a year. We had quotes anywhere from $15k to $20k. The contractor we went with charged us $7k and provided everything but the vanity and fixtures. All said and done we were just shy of $9k.

My recommendation if you’re not going to do it yourself is be patient and shop around. And stay FAR FAAAAR away from this replacement shower in a day outfits. They wanted $20k for just the shower. And their showers are just ****ty inserts installed by professional get in and get it done quick type.

This was for the whole bathroom though. Not just the shower.

Here’s the before and after.
View attachment 5405555View attachment 5405554
Nice. Love the access from the outside

I guess this is as good a forum as any to post this question.

I have a 1985 tract house, basic 3 BR, @ BA, two story, "Cape Cod" I think. "Starter Home"

On the first floor I have your basic crapola fiberglas tub, shower combo unit. The shower walls are pulling off. Tub looks like someone has peed in it for 30 years.

I want to convert to a walk in shower.

Athens GA.

What is a ball park figure for doing this. The few estimates are so high, I'm going to give up on the project if they are close to reality. I get the impression that the million dollar homes in Oconee County have put stars in the contractor's eyes.

Absolutely no access or plumbing issues. Good crawl space access. I've watched probably 2 dozen You Tubes on how to do it six different ways and none of them justify the prices I'm getting.

So how many $$$$???

I was in the flooring/tile installation biz for 40 yrs. Unfortunately heart surgery in 2019 ended that. I built many custom showers & always left my customers with a big smile. Always used old school methods. If you do the tearout/cleanup yourself ,then have your plumber relocate the controls & drain you will save $$$. When interviewing tile men ask lots of questions (about procedures & leak prevention) even though every job is different preparation is basically the same & is very important! Be sure they use a moisture barrier/anti fracture membrane product. Know in advance what you want - shelves,seat,recess,soap dish,grab bars,etc. Add ons or surprises are good excuses to charge more after they’ve started. Have them make you a complete material list & have it on the job when started. Check progress daily , if you see something ask questions. Most people who know what they’re doing don’t mind answering questions or explaining procedures. I always gave customers options & let them make decisions never tell them to do it like it’s theirs, always act like you know what you want & what’s going on even if you don’t. There’s a lot of half assed workers around that produce half asset results out there. Take time to try to find somebody competent it makes a difference in the end.

Back
Top Bottom