• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey Chokes

I use jebs or kicks. Indian creek makes a good choke as well. I shoot tss, so you can get a better shot density with the 8s or 9s you load into them. My constriction on my 500 choke is .665 and shoots a slightly larger than a softball size pattern at 40 with tss #9 2 Oz load. It shoots a larger pattern with lead but personally with lead I'd go .660. My 835 with the same load shoots a similar pattern with a .683 Carlson choke.

I use jebs or kicks. Indian creek makes a good choke as well. I shoot tss, so you can get a better shot density with the 8s or 9s you load into them. My constriction on my 500 choke is .665 and shoots a slightly larger than a softball size pattern at 40 with tss #9 2 Oz load. It shoots a larger pattern with lead but personally with lead I'd go .660. My 835 with the same load shoots a similar pattern with a .683 Carlson choke.
Are you using 3” or 3.5” shells in your 835? What size payload?
I’m looking to set up an 835 with a .690 Jellyhead (original one) choke and 3.5” Apex #7.5 shot. Its a 2.5oz payload.
Mainly curious if you saw better results with a particular sized payload. I’ve heard that in some cases, 3” patterned better than 3.5”, based on the choke/load and barrel length.

Are you using 3” or 3.5” shells in your 835? What size payload?
I’m looking to set up an 835 with a .690 Jellyhead (original one) choke and 3.5” Apex #7.5 shot. Its a 2.5oz payload.
Mainly curious if you saw better results with a particular sized payload. I’ve heard that in some cases, 3” patterned better than 3.5”, based on the choke/load and barrel length.
The same 3" 2 Oz load. It patterns really well even with that open choke. With the tss I really like an open choke to prevent overconstriction. I've got it at 60 yards and got a decent pattern. The choke that's on it is the Carlson longbeard choke. I used to shoot longbeard 3.5" out of it but went to the 3" 2oz load haven't looked back.

3.5" load of T7.5s? What are you hunting? Velociraptors? I hope users of TSS are aware of how much further big TSS is deadly than the old lead loads. If you cut loose down a bottom on public land you're not just dusting someone with a couple leads sixes 80 yards away. You can really mess someone up. More caution is necessary.

OP, https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/t...o-strut-stopper-x-rem-charles-daly-12-ga.html is a sure bet for lead loads. Check pattern five at least ten yards further than you'll shoot. Patterns fall apart fast.

Back
Top Bottom