• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turning an 870 Wingmaster hunting shotgun into a home defense weapon

The stock is not an issue for her but she’s just tiny and the 12ga recoil is a problem.
The low brass rounds is what she likes.
I may be able to locate a limb saver pad for her shoulder which will help.
She’s not too concerned about it in a home defense situation but she definitely wants to practice and familiarize herself with something more comfortable to shoot.
I been toying around the 12 ga AR but it’s funny because she mentioned she likes the idea of a 20ga shockwave.

She may feel OK with the longer stock, but that is probably a matter of her not knowing how it should fit. If the stock isn’t pulled tightly into the shoulder, the felt recoil will be worse. A shorter stock that fits her better will help her get it tight into her pocket and mitigate recoil. The shorter stock will also put the forend closer to her, making it easier to cycle. Additionally, the Hogue ShortStock has a thick, soft recoil pad that works very well.

I’ll admit, I’m making a lot of assumptions on my part because I don’t know your wife, her background, or how much she has trained with a shotgun.

Buy a Hogue ShortStock and have her try it. If it doesn’t make an improvement for her, I’ll buy it off you for what you paid for it.

Nothing wrong with a 20ga with the right load in it. Indoors, not having to reach out very far, I would have no issues trusting the right 20ga with the right ammo in it.

Another option is a gas-operated 12ga, or 20ga. With all things being equal, a gas-operated shotgun will have less recoil than a similarly sized/weighted pump shotgun.

Another thing to think about is the source/cause of malfunctions with shotguns. The majority of malfunctions that I see with pump shotguns is due to user error; short stroking or not pushing the forend back forward enough to lock. On autoloading shotguns of any type of system, the main causes of malfunctions are ammunition or lack of maintenance (dirty, dry, or dirty n’ dry). Under stress, someone that hasn’t spent a lot of time practicing will tend to run the semi-auto shotgun more reliably than the pump shotgun.

I edited the OP and added a bit of information. The heavier carrier latch spring is the same one that is used in the Remington 1100/11-87. It is part number F16966.

I have the police model.
My wife weighs 100# and the police 870 12ga was not for her.

Ive currently got some low brass LE loads in it for her and she understands that she’s gonna have to deal with it if she ever needs to use it but I’ve got my eye out for a 20ga for her.

I have a single shot .410 she loves to shoot but she definitely wants a pump action.

The Federal 8-pellet LE reduced-recoil OO Buckshot load has about as much recoil as a one-ounce load of Birdshot--Not very much--You might wanna' get a few for your Wife to try...

As an 870 Remington factory trained armorer and long time 870 nerd this does my heart proud. I too have a 1974 Wingmaster that has been built, re-built and rebuilt again through the years by me. I call it "Frankenstein". I had it parkerized in Biloxi when I lived down there, but didn't realize the guy used zinc phosphate and not manganese phosphate. They gun came back light grey vs. charcoal black like I wanted. So now it is light grey with a black parked barrel with old wood Express furniture. It truly is a rat shotgun, but it runs and won't quit.

Back
Top Bottom