• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ultralight Hiking Knife Selection For Grown Son: Advice Needed (Edit: Advice Taken, trip going well)

Esee 4. It's not necessarily ultralight but not really heavy (8 oz.) but it is a good do everything survival knife that I would definitely feel comfortable having as my only knife during a thru hike.

Doesn’t matter. There’s always that unforeseen that will make you wish you had a knife.
I’ve always carried a knife, or two, or…. Since kindergarten when we played mumblety-peg in the dirt schoolyard.
But, let your son do it his way, that way when he comes home crying about you were right you can just look at him, smile, and softly say ‘’tolja so’’.

edit to add: just read the original post, if he carries a leatherman daily, seems like he’s aware of the value, and I don’t see how a couple of ounces are a deal breaker. But then, I’ve never hiked a couple hundred miles.
*couple thousand miles. Going the whole trail, GA to Maine.

Doesn’t matter. There’s always that unforeseen that will make you wish you had a knife.
I’ve always carried a knife, or two, or…. Since kindergarten when we played mumblety-peg in the dirt schoolyard.
But, let your son do it his way, that way when he comes home crying about you were right you can just look at him, smile, and softly say ‘’tolja so’’.

edit to add: just read the original post, if he carries a leatherman daily, seems like he’s aware of the value, and I don’t see how a couple of ounces are a deal breaker. But then, I’ve never hiked a couple hundred miles.
That's my thinking as well. The unknown is called the unknown for a reason. I like extra margin.

Guessing most of the people on here recommending guns and large knives have never done any long distance hiking. I did 1100 miles on the AT back in 2010.

When you’re doing large miles, you cut your toothbrush in half. Every extra ounce you carry is statistically more dangerous to your health than any animal or person. Way more people leave the trail from hiking injuries than might need to protect themselves.

Give him the dinkiest, lightest knife you can find. It’s only use will be spreading peanut butter and opening food packaging.

Feel free to message me if I can help you or him on any perspectives.

If you arent looking to pay 150+ for a benchmade spyderco zero tolerance etc I'd go with:

CJRB Feldspar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086GY7YY2

or for a few bucks more but nearly half the weight

SOG TW18-CP https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WC73K

As to the idea that he won't need to start a fire/gut a fish, I think he might be better served a book on wilderness survival and a good talking to from someone who's actually done it. A lot easier to get lost, injured, delayed, etc than you think. If your wilderness survival plan is hope somebody comes walking down the trail, you aren't ready for long hauling.

Esee 4. It's not necessarily ultralight but not really heavy (8 oz.) but it is a good do everything survival knife that I would definitely feel comfortable having as my only knife during a thru hike.

Love my ESEE 4, but if he thinks a Mora is too heavy, he's not going to want to carry an ESSE 4.

A small Morakniv Basic would be my recommendation, they're inexpensive but very well-made knives. The carbon steel version is under $15 (even locally) and would also let you use it as a striker with a fero rod if needed. I have a couple of those and a few of the Companions with the stainless blade. Excellent knives.

If you arent looking to pay 150+ for a benchmade spyderco zero tolerance etc I'd go with:

CJRB Feldspar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086GY7YY2

or for a few bucks more but nearly half the weight

SOG TW18-CP https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WC73K

As to the idea that he won't need to start a fire/gut a fish, I think he might be better served a book on wilderness survival and a good talking to from someone who's actually done it. A lot easier to get lost, injured, delayed, etc than you think. If your wilderness survival plan is hope somebody comes walking down the trail, you aren't ready for long hauling.
Yeah, don't let me go misrepresenting him. That's not what this post is for anyways. Looking for a perfect ultralight knife.

Back
Top Bottom