Unarmed combat skills in SHTF

SHTF scenarios can vary. Each situation is different. A SHTF scenario could include an armed subject trying to rob you, rape your woman and kill you, or a domestic terrorist attack. In my mind it comes down to this. A Warrior Mentality! Have it in your mind that you are not going to die, and that you will do what it takes to stay alive. That is the "win".

A training regiment is vital, but I've seen "well trained" people cower in the face of a bad scenario. Being physically in shape is great because a full out 30 second fight, can feel like an eternity. Trust me I've been there.

Oh, and Jack Bauer checks under his bed at night for ME, before he goes to bed. :D

My MA instructors will not even award a black belt rank without you proving proficiency in handguns and rifles. I think that is a great thing. Some people take an NRA course or a course similar to what ProtectiveMeasures offers to obtain that proficiency. It is sort of funny, when I was approached about taking my blackbelt (Shodan) test, I mentioned the firearms requirement. They just laughed at me. I think what they said was something like this. "You don't have to prove anything to anybody, we have met your dad. If he is half the man I think he is, then you know all you need to know about firearms." That reinforced the pride I have in my father. My teachers were right, btw...

Here's a funny anecdote for you:

My dad went with me to a Bujinkan seminar out of state one time. Some great martial artists whom i respect and look up to were there teaching. My dad had never seen me train before so this was a new experience for him. He knew I practiced martial arts but had never witnessed my training before because we live so far apart. We were out on the floor going through some techniques and I looked over at one of my instructors from Texas, A large burly bearded fellow named Thom H. He was staring across the room lost in thought. I followed his line of sight and there was my dad. He had propped up against some pads and had gone to sleep. He was snoring.

That made a profound impact on Thom. "Who is this man? Who is this man who can sleep though all this excitement and martial arts training. What does he know? What skills he must have in order to be so bored with all this that he falls asleep while watching it?"

The many stories my dad told them on our down time, didn't help things either. The story about my dad and myself wrestling an alligator in the Walmart parking lot got him a nickname "Gator".

Good story.... there are or were plenty of men "back in the day" that had the warrior mindset.

They didn't necessarily know that's what it was.... they were just men's men.

This country used to be filled w/ men that were tough.
They didn't have to go to dojos or gyms or similar places to harden themselves.

This country is a victim of its own success. Oh, I agree we still have tough men.... I even know a few.

They just don't seem to be as plentiful but it is a pleasure to meet them... whether on the range, at a dojo, or elsewhere.

By the way, as far as I'm aware, the closest parallel to my curriculums (once you get past Basic) that I have been told by those who have attended both are the classes put on by Suarez Inter.

While some have issue w/ the founders old legal problems, their content is solid w/ a heavy emphasis toward fighting w/ a gun within 0'-7' because in a civilian context, there's a high likelihood that's where it will take place.
I ran into Randy Harris, one of their Instructors, Fri. & we discussed him coming down to do a guest Instructor class.

Last edited:
Always cheat, always win. Use what I have heard called an AK-1 (fist sized rock) if you have to. A sand and black pepper mix thrown in the face can give you a serious advantage in a fist fight. I'm too old to fight if it ain't life threatening and if it is life threatening there is no limit to what you can do.

Three words to remember in your life - will, skill and awareness. You need all three to triumph in a life threatening situation. Look at the number of trained, armed men who have died with their guns in their holsters because they did not have the awareness to react.

Don't train to survive, train to dominate.

Always cheat, always win. Use what I have heard called an AK-1 (fist sized rock) if you have to. A sand and black pepper mix thrown in the face can give you a serious advantage in a fist fight. I'm too old to fight if it ain't life threatening and if it is life threatening there is no limit to what you can do.

Three words to remember in your life - will, skill and awareness. You need all three to triumph in a life threatening situation. Look at the number of trained, armed men who have died with their guns in their holsters because they did not have the awareness to react.

Don't train to survive, train to dominate.

Reminds me of the saying about how one had better be careful starting a fight w/ an "old man" ... because he'll just kill you.

Back
Top Bottom