Unarmed combat skills in SHTF

I no longer train formally because of some chronic injuries but I do have 17 years experience in martial arts. I have 11 years of training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I find ancient combat martial arts training extremely valuable as it not only teaches you how to react properly when you are scared and your adrenalin is pumping but it also teaches you how to avoid dangerous situations entirely. The best way to survive a fight is to not be there in the first place. The difference between combat martial arts and competitive martial arts is that combat arts have no rules. It is fight or die. In a competition, there's "Illegal Moves" and a referee there to stop you if things get dangerous. In a real fight you can't depend on anyone stepping in to help you out and there's the chance that you are outnumbered or the other guy is in a heavier weight class.

After two years of training in Shotokan Karate, my instructor told me something that I'll never forget. If you are ever in a real fight, forget Karate, Karate will get you killed... The best defense is a short barreled shotgun. I heeded his advise and quit training in Karate shortly after that. I wasn't training for exercise. I was training to defend myself.

I have used my martial arts on a couple occasions and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to De-escalate a bad situation with force but without injuring myself or the other person. (well he did feel extreme pain but received no lasting injury)

I consider firearms training just an evolution of my martial arts training. I try to integrate the firearms into my martial arts as just another extension of my hands. Don't train in weapons, train the body how to move properly (Tai Jutsu) and the weapons skills will just naturally follow.

Who did you train with in the Bujinkan? I know a lot of those folks in the Atlanta area. I'm close to getting my shodan in taijutsu.

Amen. BJJ can come in handy even of you do end up on the pavement,,,,,,painful but handy.

Absolutely! Sorry guys if you can't control the fight on the ground your screwed pavement or not! The terrain would be the last thing on my mind! 90 percent of fights end up on the ground...

I have a theory that people with several holes shot into their body won't be able to fight very well.

Since most civilian fights are at very close distances & are a reaction to another person(s) aggressive action we encourage students to learn to recognize others exhibiting "predatorial behavior" toward you/your family or friends.
The sooner you recognize a potential threat... the more time & therefore the more options you have to deal with it.
These options include withdrawal/evasion, retreat/advance to cover, use of a less lethal option... or if given no other choice, to aggressively move/counterattack.

Distance favors the trained shooter... however since it is accepted that most lethal force encounters are at very close range it is critical to practice shooting from close retention.
Hand to hand skills are very good to have, especially BJJ & Krav Maga, but against an attacker in a life or death struggle, whether there is one or there are many, the best martial art in most cases is extreme proficiency in the use of a firearm.

That being said, unarmed skills are a good tool to have in ones toolbox. Criminals profile their victims in most cases. Predators don't like attacking other predators if they can avoid doing so. They will if they are desperate or defending territory or resources but generally they prefer weak, helpless victims to those who look strong or unafraid.

Whether armed or unarmed, having a warriors mindset along with being fit, being alert & keeping a confident posture may not prevent every attack but in the event that one does occur the more tools you have at your disposal the better your chances of survival.

I have 30 yrs of experience, I'm a certified martial arts/self defense instructor and boxing coach. IF shtf and eventually ammo WILL run out you'll need to know how to defend your family and yourself.

My MA instructors will not even award a black belt rank without you proving proficiency in handguns and rifles. I think that is a great thing. Some people take an NRA course or a course similar to what ProtectiveMeasures offers to obtain that proficiency. It is sort of funny, when I was approached about taking my blackbelt (Shodan) test, I mentioned the firearms requirement. They just laughed at me. I think what they said was something like this. "You don't have to prove anything to anybody, we have met your dad. If he is half the man I think he is, then you know all you need to know about firearms." That reinforced the pride I have in my father. My teachers were right, btw...

Here's a funny anecdote for you:

My dad went with me to a Bujinkan seminar out of state one time. Some great martial artists whom i respect and look up to were there teaching. My dad had never seen me train before so this was a new experience for him. He knew I practiced martial arts but had never witnessed my training before because we live so far apart. We were out on the floor going through some techniques and I looked over at one of my instructors from Texas, A large burly bearded fellow named Thom H. He was staring across the room lost in thought. I followed his line of sight and there was my dad. He had propped up against some pads and had gone to sleep. He was snoring.

That made a profound impact on Thom. "Who is this man? Who is this man who can sleep though all this excitement and martial arts training. What does he know? What skills he must have in order to be so bored with all this that he falls asleep while watching it?"

The many stories my dad told them on our down time, didn't help things either. The story about my dad and myself wrestling an alligator in the Walmart parking lot got him a nickname "Gator".

Last edited:
Im good I think. I was in a special unit while in the USMC and we had school seats to any military or civillian training out there. I would rather be in a situation to kill like a hunter setting traps, pits and snares.

Back
Top Bottom