• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unusual Deer Clicking Sounds

i have heard that in the woods but i still called it grunting. Every time the buck i was watching made a step he let out one of those souds, he wasn't walking more like a slow trot

Never saw or hear a buck making that second clicking noise like the last call thing but I've heard the grunt type click.

Will have to pay more attention to the clicking noise..... Would definitely mistake that for a bird or friggin squirrel since they make so much damn noise anyways.
Be hard not to get busted while in a tree clicking back at a buck hiding.

I watched a small buck making that clicking sound last year for the first time. Really strange. Would have probably walked right behind me without me seeing him if he hadn't been making that noise... Went right past at about 20 yards and I could see his jaw move slightly each time. Asked all my other friends in my hunting group and none of them had ever heard one do that. At least that they had identified as a deer...

Interesting I always thought it was a woodpecker.
Not nearly as loud as a woodpecker and there's a little more space between the interval. If I were to describe the interval using a gun as an analogy the woodpecker would be an uzi and a deer is like an old school gatlin gun.

Not nearly as loud as a woodpecker and there's a little more space between the interval. If I were to describe the interval using a gun as an analogy the woodpecker would be an uzi and a deer is like an old school gatlin gun.
I heard it just a few minutes ago and because of this thread I went on alert. Sure enough here comes a 4 point right behind me. Thanks for starting this thread. Pretty cool. I never associated that sound with deer before.

Dang man me neither... Friggin clicking deer?.....whou'da thunk?

To reply back with that clicker thing might give up your location and have the buck looking right at you.

Probably better to sit still like you did or do a subtle grunt call and let him come out to play.

Dang man me neither... Friggin clicking deer?.....whou'da thunk?

To reply back with that clicker thing might give up your location and have the buck looking right at you.

Probably better to sit still like you did or do a subtle grunt call and let him come out to play.
Yea the first thing the popped in my head was this thread. Like he said its not as quick as a woodpecker. Wild. I grabbed my gun as quick as I could and here comes the buck. I'll bet ive heard it before and just never put 2 and 2 together.

Last edited:
Yea the first thing the popped in my head was this thread. Like he said its not as quick as a woodpecker. Wild. I grabbed my gun as sure as could be here comes the buck. I'll bet ive heard it before and just never put 2 and 2 together.
I will be the first to admit that when I was in my teens and twenties I killed everything I saw. The older I got the more deer I just watched and consequently the more I learned about their behaviors. They do some really strange/cool things and make some really strange/cool sounds.

I will be the first to admit that when I was in my teens and twenties I killed everything I saw. The older I got the more deer I just watched and consequently the more I learned about their behaviors. They do some really strange/cool things and make some really strange/cool sounds.
Heck I'm right there with you, I saw 6 and came home with none. Just looking for ol grandad right now. It's still cool though getting my heart rate up watching them.

Back
Top Bottom