• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unusual Deer Clicking Sounds

Patience paid off last week now for some doe meat.

Attachments

• 20151106_180553.jpg
    20151106_180553.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 19
Heck I'm right there with you, I saw 6 and came home with none. Just looking for ol grandad right now. It's still cool though getting my heart rate up watching them.
Yeah I'm looking for something special right now too. They are absolutely amazing creatures. It seems like I learn something new about them each time I see them.

I heard a similar sound this past weekend. Several bucks were "spitting" at each other. I also got a grunt snort wheeze and some grunts and some plain wheezes. I only saw one medium buck and this went on for 40 minutes. The one buck I could see was not grunting but occasionally made the spitting sound. By spit I mean it sounded like if you had a little seed or something and trying to get off the end of your tongue. The cadence was about like what you mentioned and would be 2-3 or 10+ in one sequence. The medium buck appeared to be scared to approach the others but I could hear 3 distinct deer (only glimpsed the one buck). Interestingly, the buck I could get glimpses of traveled no more than 20 yards in 40 minutes. He was looking towards the other two very intently. I first saw him as he trotted away from an unseen deer, it appeared another buck chased him away.

I grunted and bleated but could not bring them out. Turkeys 75 yards in front of me where unaffected by the sounds. I really enjoyed listening to them and was hoping my grunt would challenge one to break cover. Also, I hate gallberry bushes lol.

Back
Top Bottom