• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bump for update: US appeals court blocks ban on rapid-fire ‘bump stocks’

And if Regan had demanded a 'clean' FOPA it would never have passed since Hughes was the price for a lot of the votes.

So instead of the machine gun registry closing, again affecting a few thousand people (sound familiar) you would still have a situation where states like NJ would put folks in prison because they crossed state lines with hollow point bullets in their trunk.

I agree with you that GOPers are not 'pro' gun or 2A in general, both parties are looking out for themselves, and using issues like guns and abortion to whip up votes.

But I'm so tired of people claiming that the only gun control comes when Republicans are in power. Democrats are always worse when it comes to guns.

As for the NRA protecting the gun industry... that's the job of the NSSF. I'm sure the NRA does just like the NSSF works on individual things as well.

The NRA (and the Second) is pretty useless if every gun company is driven out of business. And gun companies need to be able to legally sell to people. It's an ecosystem and I can hardly blame the NRA for working to protect companies as well as individuals.

And as for the 89 import ban, that had nothing to do with the NRA from what I could tell.

It was a response to the Tiananmen Square massacre. There may well have been more behind it but I seriously doubt anyone at Smith, Ruger or anyone else cared about Norinco as competition at the time. In 89 probably the only folks making 'assault weapons' was Colt.

Hughes wasn’t the price for FOPA passage. FOPA was done and in the 11th hour Hughes was proposed and failed. Rangel called it for a 2nd vote, this time by voice and even though it obviously failed again Rangel declared “amendment adopted.” which caused even more commotion. Hughes never actually passed.

And I didn’t say Republicans are worse, I said republicans actually pass gun control. Democrats just dream about it. Fortunately Republicans are pro 2nd amendment when Democrats try to pass gun control although that’s a new phenomenon since 94.

The 89 ban wasn’t about Tianamen Square, it was in response to the Stockton California School yard shooting where a Norinco AK was used.

The US gun industry had been crying louder and louder about Norinco and other imports for several years. The US gun manufacturers were declaring imported guns as unsafe and a danger for US consumers. Norinco was doubling imports every year, Glock was taking the US market by storm, IMI, etc. it’s funny to hear people talking about how good Chinese AKs are now because is the 80s all I heard about was how those crappy Chinese guns weren’t safe to shoot (my step dad wouldn’t sell anything Norinco). I remember a NRA meeting where they proudly declared they had been instrumental in stopping the importation of unsafe junk guns to which the crown cheered.

OK, you obviously have your version of why things happened and I have mine.

These are always back-room deals so I doubt we'll ever know the truth about a lot of it, and we both agree politicians are the last ones to give an honest answer about why they did or didn't vote on an issue.

Plus we've wandered pretty far off from the OP topic into an area that is more opinion than anything factual. Probably time to agree to disagree about the history and get back to the topic at hand.

The ruling only applies to the states I mentioned, and it had nothing to do with the constitutionality of the ban per-se, but with the ATFs power to create this ban without legislation from Congress.

The ban is the law of the land except in very narrow scenarios, and having a functional bump stock while the ban is still in effect puts you in the possession of an unregistered 'machine gun' during that period.

Just because something is suddenly legal doesn't make the original crime go away. Ask someone who spent time in jail for pot charges in states that later decriminalized it.

Even if the whole thing is overturned, having a bump stock during this period was still a felony and something they could charge you with. They might ultimately lose in court, but they have infinite money and lawyers so I doubt they would care if they chose to make a point.

Going the regulatory route to stave off a legislative push was the NRA's strategy, and it worked.

You don't see any federal laws banning bump stocks or other things that can affect the rate of fire, do you?

Take a look at Florida's law if you want to see what would have been passed at the federal level if Congress had to decide. It's a carbon copy of what was being pushed in Congress right after the Vegas attack, and it had full 'bipartisan' support.
Not gonna waste any more time, still 50 posts unread, y’all hash it out and post a consensus.
Whole thing just pegs my WGAS meter.

OK, you obviously have your version of why things happened and I have mine.

These are always back-room deals so I doubt we'll ever know the truth about a lot of it, and as we both agree politicians are the last ones to give an honest answer about why they did or didn't vote on an issue.

Plus we've wandered pretty far off from the OP topic into an area that is more opinion than anything factual. Probably time to agree to disagree about the history and get back to the topic at hand.

I was just stating it was a boneheaded move by Trump. Haha

Back
Top Bottom