Using a Thumbdrive Question

Point Blank

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
I want to try using a thumbdrive to download security footage from my security dvr / camera's.

Say i recorded a 10 minute incident but have a large capacity thumbdrive can i download it then keep adding additional future incidents easy, or do i have to erase that or record over that before adding more incidents? Can i just re-insert thumbdrive in and it will automatically start recording where it left off until the thumbdrive is filled?

Hopefully i worded my thread correctly?

Thx for any help.

Are you wanting expert advice or ODT advice? :doh::) You probably need to consult your manual (go online) because I have several systems and some will record straight to a thumb drive and some will only record to the DVR and then you can save snippets as smaller files over to a thumb drive.
Hope that helps...
edit:
a 10 minute episode won't be a big file or take up much space.

I haven't seen a thumb drive in years. Most everyone has gone on to cards. How old is your system?

What are these cards you mention?

I just assumed i had 2 options, thmbdrive OR CD using a seperate hard drive?

Would be nice if i could just download to Windows media then burn a disk but i do not know how.

Fairly recent system 1 terabyte hard drive.

Thx for helping though. I will look better in manual.

Are you wanting expert advice or ODT advice? :doh::) You probably need to consult your manual (go online) because I have several systems and some will record straight to a thumb drive and some will only record to the DVR and then you can save snippets as smaller files over to a thumb drive.
Hope that helps...
edit:
a 10 minute episode won't be a big file or take up much space.

Yes, i was hoping to save small snippets without having to erase before adding more.

Maybe a cd disk and external hard drive would be better?

My system exports files from the hard drive along with a player to view them on any pc. I can also export them as mp4's which any media player should play, but mp4's are bigger files.
they are usually named by year date time i.e.
202107021320 = 1:20 pm 7-2-21

Yes, i was hoping to save small snippets without having to erase before adding more.

Maybe a cd disk and external hard drive would be better?

If your cameras are motion activated a terabyte may record all you'll need. I have 15 cameras and they mostly all record 7am to 6pm and I get 6 weeks on the hard drive. 1 or 2 cameras may get a year? You are correct, when hard drive gets full older video automatically rolls off.

I want to try using a thumbdrive to download security footage from my security dvr / camera's.....

Thx for any help.
I see you are using a dvr system. Sorry. I assumed you were using cameras that wirelessly connect to the cloud. Mine upload all video to a storage service where I can download only the segments I need to email, save, etc.

My system exports files from the hard drive along with a player to view them on any pc. I can also export them as mp4's which any media player should play, but mp4's are bigger files.
they are usually named by year date time i.e.
202107021320 = 1:20 pm 7-2-21

I wish i could do this! I think a direct download to my windows 10 media player would be great. I have a Nightowl c20x right now and sadly i cannot figure out to download video's of a thief stealing from a construction site near me.

He does not show up every night just here and there. I was hoping to capture him somehow and calling Atlanta police to catch him in the act wouldnt work as he steals then is gone 10 minutes later.

I HATE looking at my monitor at midnight to see him going at it again!

I do not have a earthanet cable from my DVR hard drive to pc right now as i have read the can be seen by strangers. I did just hook up an earthnet cable between just my dvr and computer hoping to download video but no luck.

The feature is probably there since you have a USB drive for a thumb drive... look for "export" and then you should be able to pick the time frame you want to export.

Back
Top Bottom