• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Value of 98 Park Avenue

Gixxer

Default rank <750 posts
Enthusiast
33   0
Reaction score
I need the ODT's help. I have a 98 Buick Park Avenue with around 130k on it. The 3.8 V6 that everyone told me would "run forever" has decided it did not want to.

Mechanic opened the head and promptly declared it DOA. And yes, I trust this man's word. Car put me down on the way home with a nice death knock in the engine as it died. Loose metal pieces all inside the head of the motor.

The rest of the vehicle is in fairly good shape for a car legally old enough to buy a handgun. My question is, how much would this thing be roughly worth?

I'm sorry I don't have pics to post today but just wanted an educated estimate before I gave up and had it brought to scrapyard. An engine swap would really be all it needs.

Thank you in advance for any shared expertise.

Without knowing details on options and any other issues, even running they aren't worth a whole lot, a quick Google search and Edmunds says only about $1k.

My mom had a late 90s buick with the 3.8, same thing, blown engine around 130k... We junked it.

Shame. We had several 3.8’s where I used to work. One in a Delta 88 went 320k and ran like a scalded dog. Another blown 3.8 in a Riviera. That was a fun ride for a v6. Cant help on a valuation but would bring more if you part it out.

Shame. We had several 3.8’s where I used to work. One in a Delta 88 went 320k and ran like a scalded dog. Another blown 3.8 in a Riviera. That was a fun ride for a v6. Cant help on a valuation but would bring more if you part it out.

Yeah for sure. I wish I could.

I just don't feel like spending my weekends talking to hagglers and having a decomposing vehicle sitting in my driveway.

Let's see.... a junkyard engine is likely to have at least 150,000 miles on it and have similar age. So the one that comes from the junkyard would be near the end of its life too.

Could you get a couple more years out of it with an engine swap? Prolly.
Let's say you could buy the engine for $1000 and have somebody put it in for another thousand.... would it be worth it for a car that might only last another year yo 30 months before some other major problem happens?

What about a crate engine, rebuilt / remanufactured? I hear you can get one of those for $3500 and have a shop put it in for another thousand. AT least then you'd have more peace of mind if you keep the car and a good selling point if you advertise it for sale.

Let's see.... a junkyard engine is likely to have at least 150,000 miles on it and have similar age. So the one that comes from the junkyard would be near the end of its life too.

Could you get a couple more years out of it with an engine swap? Prolly.
Let's say you could buy the engine for $1000 and have somebody put it in for another thousand.... would it be worth it for a car that might only last another year yo 30 months before some other major problem happens?

What about a crate engine, rebuilt / remanufactured? I hear you can get one of those for $3500 and have a shop put it in for another thousand. AT least then you'd have more peace of mind if you keep the car and a good selling point if you advertise it for sale.

Lol I really do appreciate the insight. But you said a whole lot for no reason. I never had any intention on doing an engine swap.

If someone else wants to do so, that's their business. And there is no shortage of folks who will do that work themselves and maybe turn a profit for their hobby of fixing old road boats like this one :becky:

I am constantly amazed at what people will buy so I was just curious where my bottom line should be.

Back
Top Bottom