• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Visit from the ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that I'll catch almighty hell for this but...the guy had nothing to hide, he complied with their requests, and it went smoothly.

Seems to me that "Hey Mr. Revenue Collector ATF man, go piss on a rock. Come back with a warrant!" might not have produced the same outcome.

The key thing here is that, regardless of what you decide to do in a situation like this, be polite and be clear. As I said, and as anyone who has conducted interrogations, I mean "interviews of citizens suspected of wrongdoing", will tell you - demeanor and body language tells a whole lot more than words. Clearly, in this situation, that was the case.

I wonder how many of our guests (non-members) will put off joining or decide not to join at all after reading this thread?

And how does ODT get mentioned on a 4473 or where is that link?

Did they get the serial numbers from the 4473's and then notice them on the ODT?

So you buy a bunch of guns legally and your information is on the 4473...but then how do they link YOU to the ODT?

John Smith buys 10 Glocks with his discount (not picking out Glock - make it Hi-Points if you want) and his information is at the dealer on 4473's. How does John get linked to the ODT? Wouldn't they need warrants to get member information?

Maybe I'm just slow...

They did not link 4473's and ODT. They are both tools they use in investigation, however.

And I am sure that some folks might not join because of this. However, it is better to know than not.

I know that I'll catch almighty hell for this but...the guy had nothing to hide, he complied with their requests, and it went smoothly.

Seems to me that "Hey Mr. Revenue Collector ATF man, go piss on a rock. Come back with a warrant!" might not have had the same outcome.

My thoughts exactly. I would venture to say that if he had not been cooperative, a search warrant would have been a short phone call away, while they sat in their car outside. And his day would have gone much differently. Cooperation is a very fine line between going on about your business vs. potential self incrimination. The individual involved here obviously did a good job of addressing their questions in a respectful, honest manner and it worked out fine. Had it been a different person or a different agent, it could have ended very differently.

Seems to me that "Hey Mr. Revenue Collector ATF man, go piss on a rock. Come back with a warrant!" might not have produced the same outcome.
It is wise to be brotherly with the guys with guns.

I just want to talk to the prosecutor or judge. They make things move. The hired guns are just that.

Only to the extent that they are very familiar with ODT. It was not specifically stated, but was strongly implied that they do monitor the ODT. Of course, we already know that!

Well, to be fair, most of us do...some of us assume that others are ratting out other members. :rolleyes:

They did not link 4473's and ODT. They are both tools they use in investigation, however.

And I am sure that some folks might not join because of this. However, it is better to know than not.
People are idiots if they think the ODT is the only site that is monitored for suspicious activity or utilized for investigative purposes.

Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
I wonder how many of our guests (non-members) will put off joining or decide not to join at all after reading this thread?
Anyone who would not join the site after reading this thread is person that I am glad not to have as a part of the community.

And how does ODT get mentioned on a 4473 or where is that link?

Did they get the serial numbers from the 4473's and then notice them on the ODT?
I would guess the second.

So you buy a bunch of guns legally and your information is on the 4473...but then how do they link YOU to the ODT?
Perhaps because "calls or texts are faster, don't check PM's or thread" and they list their cell number?

John Smith buys 10 Glocks with his discount (not picking out Glock - make it Hi-Points if you want) and his information is at the dealer on 4473's. How does John get linked to the ODT? Wouldn't they need warrants to get member information?
Don't need a warrant when you provide the information for them. Right, ranger todd?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom