W t f atf

The dealer is supposed to give you a number you can call to find out the reason.

Most common reason is someone with a sketchy record who has the same or a similar name/

I get delayed almost every time, but then again I do buy at least 2 a month from a FFL, sometimes I'll get one or more a week.
I've never had to wait the full 7 days though, the shop will usually call in about two days saying come and get it.

"...11.a. Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s)to you..."

You may purchase a firearm, with your own funds, and give it as a gift to another unprohibited person. You may Not give it as a gift to another person, if that person provided the funds to purchase or if you are purchasing the firearm under their direction. They can provide guidance, but not make the decision for you (is what's been explained to me.)

A 7 day hold? The FBI gets 3 working days to determine if you are the person for whom the red flag was raised, or someone else. The dealer may make the transfer after that, or he may wait until cleared to do so by the FBI. Saturday, Sunday and holidays do not count as working days. Just about the only way to get a 7 day hold would be for the check to be run on a Thursday (day of the check does not count as a working day), Saturday and Sunday are not working days. The FBI then has 3 working days. To get to 7 days, there would have to be 2 holidays in the mix of Friday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Why a hold? Most crooks can't remember the name their Momma gave them, nor their birthday. They get confused easily. If they give a name OR birthday similar to yours, the FBI has the right to make sure you are not really him. And, just so you will know, when running a background check, the computer is set up by default to check the birth year you provided, plus 3 years before and 3 years after.

You are not breaking the law by buying a firearm for your child's use, especially if your child is too young to legally possess it. You are, in reality, the actual purchaser.

Back
Top Bottom