• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Water Heater Failure----HELP

He may not have a PRV...

Both of my houses have had them, but one of my old neighbors in Duluth didn't have a pressure reducing valve! He wondered why he had to replace 3 water heaters in 7 years and finally discovered the contractor had left off that particular item. And in that neighborhood, we had 145 psi line pressure!

I had to buy a commercial garden hose for our front spigot because I was always rupturing consumer-grade hoses if I left the water turned on for more than 10 minutes. :grey:

Yup, Gwinnett has some damn high water pressure at the street!! When I lived in Norcross, my PRV gave up. My first indication was the pressure relief valve at the water heater started leaking. Of course, what did I do? Yup, replaced the valve. Still leaked! LOL It was doing its job.

I went out and got a gauge and attached it to the back water spigot and it read 135#!! Yeah, that was a bit too high. Replaced the PRV and dialed the pressure down to about 60#. Who knew those things actually went bad?!

Found the reducer valve and yes there was a valve in line. The utility room is in near center of the house the main water line is coming up out of the slab into that reducer valve and from there the rest of the house. Now I'm concerned ... What happens should there be a pipe failure from the curb up the driveway and into the slab. I can just see it if that occurred digging up driveways and pipes Holy Crap... Thanks guys for leading me to that cut off valve.
Glad you found it :yo: and were able to at least stop more from coming in. Maybe this thread will serve as a good reminder for EVERYONE to locate theirs. Good luck! I'll be interested to hear of your experience with Service Master and probably more importantly, your insurance company....

Damn Shovel, what did you do in the Navy? Didn't you ever talk to those knuckledragers in the Engine Room? J/K

This should serve as a good reminder to everyone. The reason that the spigot on the bottom of your water heater is threaded for a water hose is that you are supposed to drain your water heater every year (after securing the power/turning off the gas and shutting the inlet valve). This does 3 things. First, it allows the crap that builds up at the bottom of the heater to drain. Second, it allows your heating element to cool down, which will allow it to contract and then expand again when it is put back in service. This will break some of the build-up off of the elements and restore some of the efficiency. Lastly, it will force you to cycle the inlet and drain valves so that they don't freeze up.

If you are unsure of how to do it, I am sure there is a YouTube video on it.

Shovel, sorry about your troubles. I hope everything works out for you.

Damn Shovel, what did you do in the Navy? Didn't you ever talk to those knuckledragers in the Engine Room? J/K

This should serve as a good reminder to everyone. The reason that the spigot on the bottom of your water heater is threaded for a water hose is that you are supposed to drain your water heater every year (after securing the power/turning off the gas and shutting the inlet valve). This does 3 things. First, it allows the crap that builds up at the bottom of the heater to drain. Second, it allows your heating element to cool down, which will allow it to contract and then expand again when it is put back in service. This will break some of the build-up off of the elements and restore some of the efficiency. Lastly, it will force you to cycle the inlet and drain valves so that they don't freeze up.

If you are unsure of how to do it, I am sure there is a YouTube video on it.

Shovel, sorry about your troubles. I hope everything works out for you.

So that's why I had to PM those missile heating cooling system every patrol.... I never heard that about home water heaters but lessons learned. I need a piping tab of all my fresh water systems, gas, ventilation. Any bubbleheads can tell you what a piping tab is :p

Service Master basically stripped the 4 rooms that we flooded. Pulled carpeting, pad, molding a put 3 huge dehumidifies on line and about 8 industrial size fans. The tech said the gear would be in place about 5 days. New carpet, probably trash a bunch of water logged books in my library. I was concerned about my firearms so I emptied the ammo/gun locker. I think I'll need one of those dumpster bags in the driveway. New carpet and pad will be nice but a hard way to get it done. Funny thing I was thinking of replacing my carpet upstairs with hardwood flooring. Trying to cut down on dander and carpet dust with these dang allergies

thanks again to to all the great info and advice.

I am so pissed. The contractor who was suppose to install my new heater refused to do the job. Evidently they wont install if the house has poly piping as I do. WTF people. I have a call into Lowes. I'm sure I'll get OH.. We're sorry... What a load of crap. Now I have to find another water heater and a plumber that will do the job...

Oh, good LORD!
I'm sure he doesn't want the liability if something should happen to your pipes 25 years down the road!

BTW, I prefer copper :)

So, are you still without any water?!

Poly piping, as in CPVC or PEX? Both are easy to do. If you were closer, I'd do it, with your help. It really is not that difficult.
Is there a Home Depot close by? Their water heaters are about the same price/quality as Lowe's, but have pressure valve on top, instead of bottom, so it is easier to plumb.

I am so pissed. The contractor who was suppose to install my new heater refused to do the job. Evidently they wont install if the house has poly piping as I do. WTF people. I have a call into Lowes. I'm sure I'll get OH.. We're sorry... What a load of crap. Now I have to find another water heater and a plumber that will do the job...
Yikes, when that Poly goes (and it will) this water heater issue will seem like a cup of spilled milk. When was that house built? Were you a party to the class action or the previous owner?

Back
Top Bottom