• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Way too early... Deer Rifle 2016-17 thread.

I will be hunting this season with a mix of rifles. Very curious how the .50 cal Hawken will perform. I actually bought 30.06 hunting rounds for my Garand. I also have some SP 54r for my m39. We'll see...
I shot one with my Garand last year and it was an awesome hunt. the peep sight is tough in low light though!

Tell us about the CZ

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

It's a CZ 527 walnut stock in 7.62x39 with a Weaver Tactical 1-5x24 Illuminated scope. I probably weighs 7lbs with a full mag. The rifle is way more accurate than I am, but I can shoot 1 moa all day long with it. The scope, light weight and carbine length make it without a doubt the best and fastest bolt action rifle I've ever used in GA Piedmont woods hunting. I love it.

What ammo do you hunt with with the g22?
I transferred my personal protection rounds out of my EDC into the g22 (which is my truck gun) that evening before I walked into the woods am just so happens that spike walked literally a couple feet by my ladder and I put one between his shoulders and dropped him in his tracks. I was using Hornady critical defense 185gr

20160727_183604.jpg
This will be the first rifle season in my life that I won't be working, so I'll be switching up depending on location. I have two different food plots, one in hardwoods and one in pines. I'm in the process of building my second shooting house so I'll have both covered. I also have a beautiful ridge/creek bottom that I'll be stand hunting on. It'll be either my favorite Model 700 LSS Mountain with Redfield Revolution in 30-06, my newest addition Model 7 with Vortex Diamondback in 7mm 08, or my trusty little CVA Scout with a vintage Simmons Aetec 3.8-12x44 in 30-06. Needless to say I'm looking more forward to this season than probably my very first one! Good luck fellas!

View attachment 851141 This will be the first rifle season in my life that I won't be working, so I'll be switching up depending on location. I have two different food plots, one in hardwoods and one in pines. I'm in the process of building my second shooting house so I'll have both covered. I also have a beautiful ridge/creek bottom that I'll be stand hunting on. It'll be either my favorite Model 700 LSS Mountain with Redfield Revolution in 30-06, my newest addition Model 7 with Vortex Diamondback in 7mm 08, or my trusty little CVA Scout with a vintage Simmons Aetec 3.8-12x44 in 30-06. Needless to say I'm looking more forward to this season than probably my very first one! Good luck fellas!

Dang! Congrats on a work-free season!

Think I will go with nostalgia this year, well maybe after my Howa. But definitely using my 1942 Remington 81 and 1970 Marlin, both in 35Rem.
Love the 35rem. Its a shame they've tried to push it into obsolescence when so many people still swear by it .

Love the 35rem. Its a shame they've tried to push it into obsolescence when so many people still swear by it .

i agree I trust the .35rem for woods hunting or closer range hunting just as much if not more than a higher power round like a 270 or 7mag ect. .35 hits so freaking hard and can take a glance off of a small limb or other small obstacle. Not saying I take brush shots at deer but I have settled the crosshairs on a deer squeezed off a shot the deer dropped like a sack of hammers and noticed about a foot in front of my muzzle that I just shot a pinky finger size limb in half. Apparently that 200gr round never missed a beat cause it did its job at 60yards just like normal. My 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom